Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,815   Posts: 1,581,624   Online: 752

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Portra processing uk

Hello,

I've a few rolls of Portra I'm looking to get processed. I'm looking for a UK lab that will process and print 6x4's in the first instance but I want the prints to have the soft natural Portra colours, not the standard Velvia-on-steroids look that most machine prints seem to have...!

Any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks for your help,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 08-03-2009 at 01:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen Peak Imaging mentioned, but I've not used them as I do my own processing.

www.peak-imaging.co.uk

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Peak Imaging for Portra NC in 6x6 and 4x5. The print colours are not as subtle as if I print the negs myself (these days by scanning on a flatbed, in a previous life on Kodak's RA4 papers), but properly-exposed normal scenes look good.

Problems (more like annoyances) are a persistent tendency to block up saturated reds, a default contrast setting that is a tad too aggressive, and overall exposures that can make a nonsense of high-key or low-key photos - this last a persistent problem with any non-custom prints.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can find someone who uses Kodak paper you might be better off. Until he screwed up once again, I found a local minilab operator in town gave the best (i.e. pastel, well corrected) prints I had found. The most recent ones were on Kodak Royal paper.

However, don't discount Jessops completely. The branch around the corner from my ex-mate do a much better job than they used to, and they even cut my XP2 negs into 6s last time!

A friend of mine recently praising the reborn Colab, though I haven't used them for a long time now (was happy with them when I did). I've just had a look (www.onevisionimaging.com) and though I had to download a PDF to find out, their 36 d&p price for 6x4" prints is £10.45, 7.5x5" £14.53. However, I don't like putting important films in the post and RM is less reliable than it used to be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find "Moorland Imaging" do a nice job of prints from Portra. I have to say it isn't a film I use all that often though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for help everyone.

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gavin - Try Palm Lab in Birmingham - They are a Kodak Q-Lab and always print on Kodak Endura - they have done many beautiful wedding prints for me which I have originated on Portra. They also do hand colour prints if there are one or two negs that justify it. They have customers from all over the UK.

www.palmlabs.co.uk
    http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pho...ices-116-c.asp

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin