Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,235   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Not to reawaken a discussion that got ugly, but I'm now confused about the technical photographic aspects. Didn't some of our well-informed members express their concern, in another thread, that an E-6 film should not be relabelled as C-41 to aid cross-processing, precisely because it could have some effects on the processing lab that would make them want to handle cross-processing separately from "true" C-41 films?

-NT
    This thread I believe, referred to motion picture film cross processed in anything but the motion picture process chemistry. It will ruin the chemicals by leaving behind a residue of Rem-Jet.

So, don't try any cross processing with motion picture films.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I know some won't process C-41 B&W film like BW400CN.
    Yes, I've had that happen to me too. Then I pointed out the "process C-41" label on the canister and it still made no difference to the operator. Gave up, and moved on.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm about 90% certain if I kept my mouth shut, that they would run it through. One of them told me about a lady that brought black and white film in and it developed perfectly clear, mysteriously. I don't know if they even know there are different film processes.
    Precisely this happened to me a few years back. I hadn't shot much film in about 3-4 years, and I took a roll of Ilford B&W (I think it was HP5+) to my local CVS, prepared to send it out. The clerk swore up and down that they could do B&W in their 1-hour machine, so I figured there'd been some improvements in minilab technology since I'd last used one, and I let them do it. When I came back, they had the nerve to claim my camera was defective!

Needless to say, I haven't used that CVS for photofinishing since then!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Yes, I've had that happen to me too. Then I pointed out the "process C-41" label on the canister and it still made no difference to the operator. Gave up, and moved on.
    Haha yeah. It wasn't worth the discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to run E6 through the lab I managed quite often as most other places wouldn't do it. I even promoted it to the local college and that saw a huge increase in processing for about 6 months.

One of the previous posters is correct when they said "they probably won't understand", so it may take a bit of time to find one that is happy to do it. Maybe even offer to sign paperwork to alleviate their pain. They could just be concerned you are going to cause trouble due to the fact it won't "look correct" once it has gone through the C41 process.

It won't affect their chemicals or their processor, it just won't look like "normal" E6 film and they could be all they are concerned about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I back up the "Just ask" comments. My local mini lab will Cross process no problems. The owner told me he does it regularly and it is not a problem (that being said, its an owner operator lab.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    They could just be concerned you are going to cause trouble due to the fact it won't "look correct" once it has gone through the C41 process.
    I wonder if something similar to, but importantly different than, this may be at least part of the reason for the widespread belief that cross-processing E-6 in a C-41 machine will damage the chemicals. Specifically, because the resulting prints from the slide film's negatives don't look "right," the owners/operators may think their chemistry's been messed up. If said owner/operator immediately shuts down the machine and replaces the chemicals in order to avoid problems, that'll solidify the idea that the slide film did actual harm. The next roll (of C-41 film, of course) through the machine will have normal colors. If my hypothesis is right, several common cognitive errors, such as confirmation bias, are going on in the owner's/operator's head. The result could be a powerful but incorrect belief.

Of course, there could be other factors, like exaggeration of legitimate concerns, heard via word of mouth or in publications. about shifts when doing heavy amounts of E-6; or confusion of ECN-2 film with E-6 film.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didn't some of our well-informed members express their concern, in another thread, that an E-6 film should not be relabelled as C-41 to aid cross-processing, precisely because it could have some effects on the processing lab that would make them want to handle cross-processing separately from "true" C-41 films?
    see:

http://www.apug.org/forums/836533-post18.html

(Not a minilab though, but a dip-and-dunk machine.)
    Last edited by AgX; 08-07-2009 at 12:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak states that more than 5% volume of C-41 film in E-6 chemistry can affect the results with E-6 film.

However, the other way around is totally safe, from what I have heard from P.E. on this Website.

I have done cross processing at several local CVS and Rite Aid stores by simply explaining to them that I am after a special effect. It has helped me several times to say (truthfully) that another location in the chain had done it for me.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-07-2009 at 01:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added P.E. as source
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to reawaken a discussion that got ugly, but I'm now confused about the technical photographic aspects. Didn't some of our well-informed members express their concern, in another thread, that an E-6 film should not be relabelled as C-41 to aid cross-processing, precisely because it could have some effects on the processing lab that would make them want to handle cross-processing separately from "true" C-41 films?

-NT
    I don't consider myself a well-informed member, but if you are referring to the Rollei Crossbird discussion, I never said that it would affect labs' chemistry. I said I thought it was unethical, though chemically harmless, to relabel the film. "A harmless lie for the labs' chemistry, but a lie nonetheless", is a cut-and-pasted example of one way that I put it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin