Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,445   Posts: 1,643,392   Online: 752

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Will running E6 through a minilab mess anything up?

I want to try running a roll of E6 through C41 because I heard you get some interesting negatives this way. I don't want to mess up my local minilab's machines and have them ban me or anything, though. Will it contaminate the chemistry for other users?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think it will, but if you go to a place like CVS or WalMart they probably won't cross process because they won't understand it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It will not hurt it, but as Ektagraphic says, it may be rejected by the lab out of fear, uncertainty and doubt.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Check your lab's policy first. I've found some minilabs locally won't process anything that doesn't have "C-41" explicitly printed on the film canister, some will want to charge you extra for "cross-processing" (even though they're not doing anything they wouldn't normally do, and no damage is incurred), and some (usually the more knowledgable or possibly the most lazy) won't care.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I know some won't process C-41 B&W film like BW400CN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to reawaken a discussion that got ugly, but I'm now confused about the technical photographic aspects. Didn't some of our well-informed members express their concern, in another thread, that an E-6 film should not be relabelled as C-41 to aid cross-processing, precisely because it could have some effects on the processing lab that would make them want to handle cross-processing separately from "true" C-41 films?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Not to reawaken a discussion that got ugly, but I'm now confused about the technical photographic aspects. Didn't some of our well-informed members express their concern, in another thread, that an E-6 film should not be relabelled as C-41 to aid cross-processing, precisely because it could have some effects on the processing lab that would make them want to handle cross-processing separately from "true" C-41 films?

-NT
    Something sticks in my head that a fuji rep once told me something on the order of 5-10% of daily throughput could be e-6 crossed in c-41 without harm to chemistry, beyond that and it has some effect. If this is true, then it is important for the lab to know simply to keep track of how much they have crossed in a day.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I cross-processed a roll of Sensia by taking it to Walgreens, ordering a DO, and playing dumb. They didn't even question it. Got back the sleeved negatives, sans amber mask, of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm about 90% certain if I kept my mouth shut, that they would run it through. One of them told me about a lady that brought black and white film in and it developed perfectly clear, mysteriously. I don't know if they even know there are different film processes.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    We ran lots of cross process film went I was in a commercial lab. The only issue was sometimes it "Freaked" the technician who pulled the film from the dryer if he or she didn't know what was going on. They would run to the supervisor with panic on their face.
    Once we ran 15 rolls of 120 in one run. Never saw any changes in our charts or test strips. I would suggest you find a commercial lab in your area or neighbor city. Call and explain what you are doing.
    I think you can also process your film yourself to? I recall a fellow who did accelerated E-6. He processed his film in a very strong B&W devo then take the film in our E-6 dip and dunk line and place the film in the color tank to finish the process. What he got was a super grainy, high polarized images. It was fun but I'm not suggesting this for you.
    Look and call your local commercial lab.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin