Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,763   Online: 1002

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Prints from negatives are better than prints from slides? I guess it all depends on the look you are after. Slides from negatives can be better than slides from E6/K14? Are you perhaps referring to Dale's Lab? Please don't make me laugh.
    I agree with what you and 2F/2F have said (the look you're after is paramount), but the simple fact of the matter is that if you want prints, you're better off starting with a negative. (That does not, however, mean you shouldn't use slides to make prints, it's just a negative is designed for prints.) And, contrary to what you have suggested, using a negative is not an inferior way to make a slide. To reiterate, a slide from a negative can be every bit as good, if not better, than one made using actual slide film.

And no, I'm not talking about Dale Labs. (I'm not familiar with their services.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    it's just a negative is designed for prints.)
    Negatives were designed for making prints on RA4 paper by optical means. But, as I have said before, unless you DIY, any print you get from negatives is going to be done by hybrid means. And once you start making prints by scanning and printing, negatives are no longer advantageous over slides. Unless, as I have said before, you prefer the look of C41 film over E6/K14. But if the look of E6/K14 is what you are after from a print (and this look is generally preferred over the C41 look for outdoor/nature photography), you are better off shooting E6/K14, even if a print is desired. Remember, not all of us are into portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    To reiterate, a slide from a negative can be every bit as good, if not better, than one made using actual slide film.
    Let's just say I have yet to see a slide made from a negative that is even as good as one taken with my least favorite reversal film. And even if slides from negatives CAN be good, I guarantee you there are going to be few (if any) labs out there who can actually make them anymore. And, if there are, they are (like Dale's) going to both cost MUCH more than E6/K14 processing and probably take longer than sending film to Dwaynes (not to mention that I can get E6 done locally in a few hours).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's worthwhile checking around for labs that still have an optical workflow available, even if they are primarily scanning for prints.

For example, Foto Fun in New Westminster, BC Canada will still do machine print enlargements optically up to 8" x 12", if you ask.

Last time I checked, some of the Pro labs in my area would still do custom prints optically, if requested. For example, here is one page from GKing Photo's price list:

http://www.gkingphoto.com/pricelist14.htm

(NB. No relation )

It's relatively rare, but not impossible.

Matt
    Last edited by MattKing; 08-11-2009 at 01:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

It's relatively rare, but not impossible.

Matt
    In my opinion, it is part of the definition of a "pro lab", or a "custom lab", or a full-service lab". Therefore, when I say something like "go to a pro lab", that is what I mean.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hey, I love the look of Kodachrome as much as the next guy, it's just the processing woes I grew to deplore. And once I started printing my work for sale, instead of accumulating stock for sales to publications, I realized how handicapping it was.

The dynamic range of print films means that nearly 100% of C41 shots I've ever taken were printable straight up on one of the grades of RA4, without any other masking but what orange mask the neg contained. Fully 2/3'ds of the Kodachromes I've shot and printed on Ilfochrome would not print within the limits of the paper without extensive dodging & burning and/or unsharp silver masking (that is, if they'd could be satisfactorily printed at all).

Hybrid processes have improved on these numbers, and ease the mask-making. But print film still cannot be touched for capturing massive dynamic range versus slide film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Therein lies my lack of love for Kodachrome. I can't scan it very well...
    Well, my personal experinece is that the older cheap as dirt Epson scanners do a pretty darn good job on Kodachrome slides. Fact is, they just aren't smart enough to get fooled by the Kodachrome. They just analyze the light and do it.

Now, obviously that measns you have to *MAKE SURE THE GLASS IS CLEAN* and you have *BLOW THE DUST OFF* for yourself.

I have an Epson 4180, and it works great on Kodachrome slides.

Michael
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried having my scans printed but just wasn't happy, so the slide is off to Dale Labs to see what they can do.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin