Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,017   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Medium Format

Arista RA-4 & E-6 Chemical Kits

I wanted to see if anyone had used the Arista kits for RA-4 as well as E-6 just because I would like to try both of these at home, but don't want to waste the time and money if they are garbage. Let me know if you've tried these and how it went, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes, do a search here for threads on it. The e-6 kit I used worked fine.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used the Arista-branded RA-4 and had no problems with it, although I generally use a mix-it-yourself formula. I've never used the Arista-branded E-6 kit, but I have used an E-6 kit that I believe was made by the same company. It worked, although I preferred the results from Kodak's E-6 kit, and Kodak's kit is actually less expensive on a per-roll basis, so I'm using the Kodak kit. (Adorama and Unique Photo both stock and ship the Kodak E-6 kit, or did when last I checked.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I've used the Arista-branded RA-4 and had no problems with it, although I generally use a mix-it-yourself formula. I've never used the Arista-branded E-6 kit, but I have used an E-6 kit that I believe was made by the same company. It worked, although I preferred the results from Kodak's E-6 kit, and Kodak's kit is actually less expensive on a per-roll basis, so I'm using the Kodak kit. (Adorama and Unique Photo both stock and ship the Kodak E-6 kit, or did when last I checked.)
    I've been looking into the Kodak kits, it just seems daunting to have a 6 bath solution as opposed to a 3 bath with Arista. I should probably just go with the Kodak solution since my research has shown that a lot of people complain about color shifts a few years out with the Arista kit. Maybe this is because the bleach and fix are a single solution in the Arista, but that's going to decrease shelf life of my chemicals :\ trade offs, trade offs, trade offs!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmichel View Post
    I've been looking into the Kodak kits, it just seems daunting to have a 6 bath solution as opposed to a 3 bath with Arista...
    If availability is not an issue, I'd use the Kodak kit. It's not as daunting as it seems; not all steps need precise temperature control. Only the first developer needs very tight control. The next steps have a tolerance of +-1 deg Celsius and the final steps from 35 to 40 degrees Celsius. Have a look here for more information (see page 3).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've said it before!

Without a stabilzer solution with formaldehyde or some step with formalin, E6 image stability will suffer!

With the E6 3 bath kit you have 1st Developer, Color Developer and Blix. There is no stabilzer! Also, the Blix has a tendancy to leave some silver metal and silver halide in the coating which can degrade sharpness, color, grain and highlights.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    If availability is not an issue, I'd use the Kodak kit. It's not as daunting as it seems; not all steps need precise temperature control.
    I agree that the Kodak 6-bath (really 7-bath, including final rinse) process isn't difficult. It is, however, tedious. It takes me about 45 minutes just to get ready to run a roll through -- it's a lot of bottles to sort through, measurements to make, measuring cups to wash, etc. The process itself takes longer than most B&W, C-41, or 3-bath (really 4-bath) E-6 kits, but the real hit, IMHO, is in the setup time.

Despite the extra time, it's worth it, in my experience; the results are just better with the 6-bath kit, and the cost is lower.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    I agree that the Kodak 6-bath (really 7-bath, including final rinse) process isn't difficult. It is, however, tedious...
    Agreed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Without a stabilzer solution with formaldehyde or some step with formalin, E6 image stability will suffer!

With the E6 3 bath kit you have 1st Developer, Color Developer and Blix. There is no stabilzer!
    This seems to be true for the Arista 3-bath kit, but it should be noted that the Tetenal 3-bath kit does include a separate stabilizer (making it really a 4-bath kit).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin