Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,276   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rollei CR 200: Should I have to downrate it?

Has anyone else found Rollei's CR 200 slide film (or Agfa RSX II, apparently the same emulsion) to need a bit of downrating?

I'm not sure I've gotten it right yet, but when I've shot it at 200, the slides clearly were a little underexposed, and I'm now experimenting with rating it at 160 instead. I'd assumed this was a metering issue with the camera I was using (it's a 1970s rangefinder that expects 1.35V and is getting 1.5V instead), but I just compared the meter on that camera with a Canon AE-1, which has historically metered quite well, and found them nicely aligned. So I'm thinking the camera may be metering correctly, and I'm actually finding that the film needs a bit of downrating compared to box speed.

Am I nuts?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei Digibase CR200

This slide film will be my only film for the near future to feed my medium format cameras and my scanner. The film emulsion is in opposite to the former Agfa RSX 200, now coated on a modern polyester film base.

Especially, I like the natural colors of this film very much for landscape, portrait and close-up photography! The roll film is easy to handle, sufficient sharp and has a fine grain for a ISO 200 film, and the film is easy for scanning. The film should have also the capacity to be pushed up to ISO 400 and more.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot it at 200 and I really like it. I did find that it looked good just a little (not much) underexposed.......
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Having shot about 10 rolls of AGFA Chrome 200 (which is akin if not the same as RSX II) I find that it does do better underexposed a bit. I have been metering it at ISO200 but have found that the results are better when I underexpose by 1 stop or so. I have been running this film with a circular polarizer on my Mamiya 645 and rating it at 160 on the Sekonic when metering. I should have some rolls next week that will tell if this works, but I suspect that it will be more underexposed than I wanted. I think I should have metered it at 125 with the CP. We'll see soon. I will post some scans when I get this stuff processed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin