Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

How can I cut 5in rolled paper at 7in lenghts?

I have 577' rolls of paper and want to make 5x7 sheets, is it possible or to much trouble? I'm just starting with color printing and don't want to spend money on paper when i have these 5" x 577' rolls.

thanks
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Jim, That is one of the reasons I posted about suitable colour safelights....There's a method in my madness!

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first thought was to use a household paper cutter, My first concern was having my fingers all over the emulsion as i slide the paper in place. If i were to cut it emulsion side down then i would ruin the emulsion by scraping it on the cutter board. Would oil or moisture from my fingers cause issues if I cut it emulsion side up? I plan on putting all the paper in a freezer after i cut it, All six rolls.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For safety reasons I would use a roller blade cutter rather than a goullotine in the dark (I want to keep my pinkies!)

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    For safety reasons I would use a roller blade cutter rather than a goullotine in the dark (I want to keep my pinkies!)

Cheers Dave
    I dont mind risking a pinkie because i have a spare on the other hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    I have 577' rolls of paper and want to make 5x7 sheets, is it possible or to much trouble? I'm just starting with color printing and don't want to spend money on paper when i have these 5" x 577' rolls.
    I do this with 4" rolls of Kodak Polymax B&W RC paper to make 4x4 or 6x4 sheets for proof prints. Emulsion side down on a rotary cutter is easy and I've not had any problems with emulsion damage or finger prints.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been cutting kodak edge paper under a kodak colour (#13?) safelight. It's far enough away (8 feet) that it doesn't seem to fog the paper, and permits enough light to sort of see where the papercutter and the roll is. I put the roll on a dowel between two chairs, and feed it into a guillotine cutter, emulsion side up. After cutting, I stack the paper emulsion side down. Time from exposure to the safe light to stacking emulsion side down is about 5 sec. I make sure my hands are clean and dry when I start. I've had no trouble with fingerprints.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for the advice! I just cut some and found it to be not that bad. I dont know about cutting all 6 rolls! That would be a PITA!

Thanks Again
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...C_210_12_.html

These work wonders!

The paper size guide allows you to cut the rolls in the dark, so no safelight is needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've posted my method before. A search should pull it up.

Basically. I use a roller paper cutter. Nothing fancy it's a basic unit from the office supply places. I mounted it on a square sided board. Get a piece of plywood cut for you if you can't make sure the sides are square yourself. On the board I placed a wooden edge to make sure the paper is square to the cutter in the dark. This guide is at 90 degrees to the cutter. Must be square. At the end away from the cutter I mount a second guide at the distance needed for the size I'm cutting. This moves so I just hold it down with a clamp. Once again check for square.

The paper is held by a home made setup using the same ideas those rollers that hold butcher paper do. I made up a U shaped wooden stand out of scrap. With a forstner bit I drilled half holes at the top of each U. The roll gets mounted on an old broom handle and then the broom handle sits on U stand holes.

The only things I do in the light is adjust the length and clamp everything to the bench.

In the dark I take the paper out of the bag. Slip it on the broom. Mount the roll on the U. Pull the paper out to the stop. Feel it's square to the side guide. Then cut. Put the paper into the darksafe. Pull some more out and cut.

I wear gloves. Cold paper will end up condensing the moisture on your finger tips.

It's easy. Cheap. Comes apart for storage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin