Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,280   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ra4 paper developer advice needed!

I have decided to take the plunge into color prints and need advice on the chemicals. I will order them from Calumet and here is what i will buy,(Kodak RA RT Developer Replenisher, Kodak RA Bleach-Fix and Replenisher). Are these the correct chemicals? DO i need a developer starter for the developer? I have C41 bleach and fixer, Can i use them or do i need paper blix? One last question please, If color paper is fogged from a safelight would it turn blue around the edges? The reason I'm asking is because i developed a few prints using C41 film developer and all the borders were blue.

Thank you
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You do not need a starter for RA-RT developer replenisher. You should not use C-41 bleach and fix, as it can stain paper. If you have to, use a test sheet first and see if it comes out as white as a sheet that has been fixed alone.

Depending on safelight, the fog can be blue. But the C41 developer is much more active than the RA developer due to the use of CD-4 and therefore it might be fog from overdevelopment. IDK.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    You do not need a starter for RA-RT developer replenisher. You should not use C-41 bleach and fix, as it can stain paper. If you have to, use a test sheet first and see if it comes out as white as a sheet that has been fixed alone.

Depending on safelight, the fog can be blue. But the C41 developer is much more active than the RA developer due to the use of CD-4 and therefore it might be fog from overdevelopment. IDK.

PE
    PE, Thank you very much for the response. The blue must be from over development since i mixed the C41 developer 4 times the film strength. I did that because it worked with B&W paper and film developer.

Thank you
    Jim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    i usedfotospeed and i loved the results.
    i am at war with the obvious

-Bill Eggleston

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew green View Post
    i usedfotospeed and i loved the results.
    You can process it at room temperature, i like that. I already ordered Kodak chemicals, I wish i learned of Fotospeed earlier.

Thanks
    jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak RA-RT developer replenisher will work at 68 F (20C) using 2' development time.

The other developers alter the formulation or color developing agent to achieve this which compromises image stability or other factors in the imaging process.

PE

I quit PN so I could not answer there, but streaks and cyan are from under strenght stop bath or none at all. Multiple water washes in place of stop is only marginally effective.

Develope, stop, rinse, bleach/fix. That is how I use the 4 slots in my Nova. Before I went to acid stop, I got cyan borders and streaking. Usually I could get a good print or two, then it started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Kodak recommends a 1 - 2% acetic acid stop for the RA process.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Yes, Kodak recommends a 1 - 2% acetic acid stop for the RA process.

PE
    PE, Since i placed my order for the correct chemicals i have been searching and downloading everything i can find on the process. The information i got from Kodak's website states that a stop is optional! Please correct me if i am wrong. I have viewed it again and it states stop and wash is optional between the developing & bleach/fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never ues the wash before the blix. But the stop is optional if you get cyan streaks and blemishes. The original instructions said that they only believed it to be the case in drum processors at 100F, but I have found it to be the case at lower temps and sometimes in trays with poor agitation in the blix.

The carryover of stop into the bleach is not important as long as you drain properly.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin