Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,644   Online: 799

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Astia vs E100g

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Astia is an excellent film, as is E100G too. Give them both a try and then decide which one you like better.,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Astia has always seemed a little muddy to me, but I've captured some very nice shots on it in mixed lighting. I prefer E100G/GX as an all-around film. The skin tones seem richer but still correct and the saturated colors have more pop.

Shooter
    35mm
    To me, Astia looks more like a C41 film that just happens to make slides. As such, it really doesn't have that typical 'pop' of chrome. Then again, exposure latitude is better than other slide films, E100G included. So if you like slides for the sake of projection, scanning, Ilfochrome, or just viewing on a light table, but also like the look and advantages of C41, then Astia is a good choice. E100G, on the other hand, is a better choice if you truly want a chrome look. It is MUCH more saturated than Astia. But, much like Kodachrome, saturation is there but not over the top (like, say, Velvia or E100VS). Generally speaking, Astia is better for traditional C41 uses while E100G is better for traditional chrome uses. But ultimately, you have to experiment and see for yourself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Astia is undersaturated for dreamy like qualities. In addition, I would imagine it is cooler in tone like other Fuji films.

I have seen some Astia images so cool they begin erring on the magenta side, no longer even blue or green anymore.
    I brake for fixer!

Since the demise of Ektachrome 100 original, I would go for Astia.

I don`t like high contrast or color saturation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Since the demise of Ektachrome 100 original, I would go for Astia.

I don`t like high contrast or color saturation
    What is it you dislike about EPP compared to EPN that makes Astia a better replacement to you?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    What is it you dislike about EPP compared to EPN that makes Astia a better replacement to you?
    I'm guessing saturation. As far as saturation, EPP is more saturated than E100G or EPN, but less saturated than Velvia or E100VS.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought E100G/GX were being discontinued. Did this change?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Astia, without a doubt.
    There is very little I like about the modern Ekta replacements/versions from Kodak, starting with the price.

As for other things:
    Unlike what "conventional wisdom" claims, grain in Astia is smaller than even Velvia's. And that is something I have verified many, many times.

As for saturation and shadow detail and contrast control, this is Astia:
    http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/art/...lope-108901318
    http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/art/...lash-101163354
    http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/art/sugar-buzz-98843762
    http://wizofoz2k.deviantart.com/art/...escue-98461919
    Click on images for bigger. I'll put any of those against anything Velvia or Kodak, of which I have examples in my gallery as well: it won't be far behind.

As for good behaviour in scans, all of the above were scanned. It is one of the best "scannable" films, nowadays. Much better than anything I've ever seen from Fuji with the possible exception of the new Velvia 50. Kodak's stuff is also easy to scan but the results in terms of saturation, contrast control and colour balance are nowhere near what Astia does.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E100G is here to stay for now, but E100GX is gone.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin