Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,083   Online: 985

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak E-6 Single Use Kit - Preservation

I've done as much research as I can over the last few days, learning what I can through searches here, on google, and other sites, about home developing 120 E-6 process film. I've been doing black & white 120 film at home in a Paterson tank for the last few months, and think I have that process pretty well smoothed out, so am looking to give slide film a try.

I think I understand generally what needs to be done in terms of temperature control, agitation, mixing of chemicals, etc. But the one thing I can't really find a good consensus on, and particularly with the Kodak E-6 Single Use Kit, is how long should I expect the _concentrated_ chemicals to last, once they've been opened?

It sounds like Kodak provides an expiration date on the bottles, but I can't find any information on whether or not that date applies to the unopened bottles, or if it would also apply if they have been opened. With the b&w chemicals I use (all Ilford), they provide an estimate based on how full the bottle is (i.e., 36 months full airtight, 12 months half-full). What about this kit? Is it reasonable to expect the chemicals to last, say, 6 months after they've been opened the first time, stored half-full? If so, it's probably worth it for me to give it a try - I'm a pretty low-volume film shooter, this is mainly just a hobby, but I'm enjoying immensely learning the old techniques (I'm one of those "reverse" photographers - started out with digital for about 10 years, and now going back to learning about the entire film based processes).

Shooter
    35mm
    One anecdotal data point: my first Kodak E-6 kit lasted something like 2 years after I opened it. My second's now been open for about a year and it's fine so far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry - not at home to refer to the individual parts, and what they are labelled ( ie colour dev conc a, b or c ) but what I have done is to transfer the first dev conc that has the developer agent in it and the colour dev conc witht eh CD dev agent in it into smallish (1ml I recall) glass bottles, that I keep full by adding marbles or topping off with nitrogen gas. The rest of the stuff should not die off too fast since it is mostly in-organics the next danger is the that the fixer concentrate will sulphate. If this happens, there are other fixer options from other branches of photogrqaphy that you can substitute.

Mine have kept this way in a 20C basement that is usally quite dim for more than 3 years, and were still viable when a batch was last mixed up in March.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah, 1 - 2 years sounds like plenty of time for storage... I've been doing anywhere from 4 - 8 rolls of B&W per month, so could see using up one of these kits well within a year.

Thanks for the replies!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin