Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,237   Online: 697

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilfochrome Chemistry Expiration

I cannot find an expiration date on the Ilfochrome chemistry kits; do they have one printed somewhere?

I have a few old kits (P30). I have had them for 2 years but I have no way of knowing how long they sat on the store shelf. I mixed from an unopened kit and the paper came out black/magenta, no image at all.
    I am stumped because I've done quite a bit of Ilfochrome printing in the past, but I must be doing something wrong.
    1 - The emulsion was facing up for the exposure
    2 - I exposed tests at 20, 30, 40, 60 seconds at f/8
    3- I inserted the paper (fresh box) emulsion down in the Durst Printo
    4 - The chemistry in the tanks is in the order of: Developer, Bleach, Fixer

I suspect I am doing something wrong with the processor (first time using the Printo instead of the CAP40) but I went through and checked all the steps.

I'm stumped. I have a new chemistry kit which I will try tomorrow; I sure hate to waste the older kits...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Renato,
    If you have a print drum that you can test the old chemicals with that might save you some hassles. Contact print a known 4x5 neg and stick it in a test drum and see if the old chems are any good. This would lead to minimal waste if the old chems are any good still. Good luck
    erik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Renato;

Take a tiny scrap of paper and in the light, run it through a small scale (cup scale) process. With total fog, the paper scrap should come out white. If not, then it is the chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks - I hope I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's the developer that dies early. The bleach and fixer last a long time. To be more precise, it's part B of the developer that dies. If it's turning brown, it's dead. I find that substituting the same amount of Ilford Warmtone B&W developer for part B seems to work well, with a minimum of filtration changes.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's the Developer - Part B is brown.

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't mean to rehash an old thread, but Ive been trying to use some expired ilfochrome paper/chemistry. So far its either very blue where the blacks should be. Just wondering if thats the paper or the chemistry so I can see which to try getting a hold of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspect the paper but it's just a guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tested a few things, but I'm still stumped. When i tried running a piece in the light, the developer does turn it fully black, and the bleach is whats turning it the blueish white tints. That's on a fully 'exposed'/fogged piece I ran in a tray. Another piece from a different box did something similar, but was a more darker shade of a blue-green.
    Last edited by sage; 04-24-2010 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be the combination of both the paper and the chemistry being expired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin