Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,955   Online: 1110

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Water used to mix C-41 processing solutions

If my developing results are clean and consistent (with the proviso that I do not own a colour densitometer), is there a good reason to use distilled or de-ionized water in the developer or bleach?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    None at all they aren't designed for distilled/de-ionised water as most labs don't have access to it.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    None at all they aren't designed for distilled/de-ionised water as most labs don't have access to it.

Ian
    With the newer fuji labs, we were supplied with, and filtered all of our water through something....the tech that came to help do the install called it a deionizer, its labled FSC10, and it filters water through resin beads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

Your unit is producing deionized purified and filtered water. But, Ian is correct, C-41 and E-6 chemistry both are designed to work with city water directly from the tap!

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Bob;

Your unit is producing deionized purified and filtered water. But, Ian is correct, C-41 and E-6 chemistry both are designed to work with city water directly from the tap!

PE
    But will the chemistry work better with distilled water? Will it work worse? About the same?

How will the dissolved minerals and gasses and general crud effect my outcome? That is, will my film be cleaner when I'm done if I use distilled water through out?
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would only be concerned about suspended particles and dust in the solutions. Otherwise, the water will have no effect. I have used filtered tap water for nearly 50 years with no problem.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most good professional labs will have a filtration system just to remove solids etc. That should be sufficient with treated water from a city/town water supply which should be within certain parameters anyway.

There may be cases for de-ionisation where the supply is particularly poor. Most photochemistry colour or B&W has sequestering agents to cope with hard water anyway.

Most Minilabs are waterless anyway these days and the chemistry needs no mixing.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I would only be concerned about suspended particles and dust in the solutions. Otherwise, the water will have no effect. I have used filtered tap water for nearly 50 years with no problem.

PE
    After what PE said, I'm pretty sure the fuji system was used so that any water in any frontier is the same as the next, no troubleshooting with them for things like too much iron or another metal or mineral in the water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, and they make a pretty penny on the water system.

JK. I have no idea what their connection to the water filtration company is nor whether Kodak does the same!

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin