Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,620   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My handheld slide viewer sucks...

Just wanted to share that with you...

It's a Kaiser brand I think, had it a while but it's driving me nuts... It's a small handheld unit with 2 batteries inside that makes it light up when you shove a slide in the hole at the top. Problem is, the colour of the light is so horribly warm it ruins the colours of my slides. The light is a small screw in bulb behind some white plastic, even with that in the way it looks way too warm. Guess there's not much I can do about that I suppose.

anyway, just wanted to rant. Back to my handheld hold-it-up-to-the-light viewer, at least that has the right colour !!!

I feel better now that's off my chest...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of those, not a Kaiser. They're cheaply made with bad lighting to encourage us to get color-corrected light tables and loupes. If I only had the space...
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have seen some very good small ones with light at 5500 degrees Kelvin.
    I have a 4x5 mini-light-table myself and am planning to get me an A4 sized one.

Check ebay.....

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't already have them, you may want to obtain a light box and a loupe, and a slide projector.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I replaced the light in my hand-held stereo slide viewer with a color corrected bulb that I got from a fellow named George Themelis online. He also sold replacement reflector materials to replace the off-color material in my viewer, and the combination made a world of difference. I don't know much about hand held non-stereo slide viewers, but you may be able to replace some of the components that cause these problems, and if you can convert it to house power the light level will always be steady and strong.

There used to be some really nice stationary (too large to hold) slide viewers out there that you could use to view slides on. They projected onto a fixed screen about the size of a 15" computer monitor if I remember correctly. They show up on ebay regularly, but the shipping will be high as they are neither light nor compact. They do, however, offer pretty good quality viewing...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nowadays you can pick up a good used or even new slide projector and screen for a song. Viewing your slides on a large screen in a darkened room, remote in hand, and good music on the stereo and you're at the movies. Don't forget the popcorn!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, you guys are right, I need to get a projector. Still looking for a cheap one that's not like 100 years old !

I have a mini lightbox and loupe that I use, sucks the power though so i should probably get a power pack for it. The idea of the hand held viewer was to take my slides with me to show my mates.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The slide viewer I have for looking at the old slides of family works OK. The light in it seems to be OK for slides.
    There's a Braun paximat projector too. But it's a bit of a pain to set up. It's amazing, though. It's the slide, but bigger. Sharp, colorful...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chris, you could probably replace the bulb with a high-brightness white l.e.d. They're cheap, have a high colour temperature and draw less current than a filament bulb. You'll probably need a current-dropping resistor though.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Chris, you could probably replace the bulb with a high-brightness white l.e.d. They're cheap, have a high colour temperature and draw less current than a filament bulb. You'll probably need a current-dropping resistor though.
    This sounds like a great effort to save a handheld slide viewer. It does not sound like a cost effective solution either.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin