Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,422   Online: 1048

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same reason we shop farmer's markets instead of the big chains. Same reason we go to Whole Foods or Wild Oats market for the rest of our needs. On average the food we prepare ourselves tastes better and is free of preservatives and packaging adjuncts. Think organic!
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    ****I think it's more about doing it for oneself and gaining control of the process than saving money***

Well we all have different hobbies, but I would have thought getting a great shot is the most important thing for a photographer.....for me after spending decades doing colour dev and chemical printing, I just want an easy life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, its my hobby. I shoot the film, I mix the c-41 home brew, process the film. Cut the colour paper (short rolls from photo processors are a cheap source, and colour paper is cheap) , Mix the RA-4 home brew, load it into the rehabbed from the dead tabletop roller processor, find the colour fitering and expsure, do a contact sheet, then start to bang prints out. Others like the colour more; my heart is in b&w, but not always the people I am doing work/hobby shooting with.

I'm with Maxwell on the food front too. On Monday I was up til midnight finishing off tomotos sauce, after buying a bushel of roma tomatos at the market on Sunday. That day I made and pressure canned 8 quarts of spagetti sauce, 13 pints of 'chili sauce' (pickled pepper, onoins and tomates) 12 half pints of diced capsicum/bell peppers, and 5 quarts of peaches in light syrup. I finally did my own modifications to the poorly working LP conversion kit for the former propane turkey roaster burner, and now can reduce tomato sauce in na hour, where it once took 6 hours.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have recently transitioned from "save money" to "get good results." I had an idea that I would replenish and reuse and whatnot with my developer but then I realized that C41 developer is really cheap. I buy it in 19 liter packs. I think I'm going to start using one shot for better control. I'm at the point where I like most of my shots and I don't shoot film quickly. I don't mind spending money to process the rolls because I know that they're good. I'm working on pinpointing my temperature accuracy as well. Though it's always a quest for perfection I've never had a bad roll.

Just FYI if the container is topped off I've had developer keep for 6 months.

It's fairly easy to mix up small quantities of Kodak C41 developer. They give measurements. It's a bit of a pain, but you can do it using syringes. Just round it when they say "11.738 mL..."

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using Jobo CPA processor and Kodak C41B chemical.
    I prefer dry prewarm and double fixing.
    Here is my procedure:

Dry pre-warm 45 minutes
    Developer† 3 minutes 15 seconds
    Stop† 2 minute*
    Bleach‡ 8 minutes
    1st bath Fix¶ 3 minutes
    2nd bath Fix¶ 3 minutes
    Wash 9 minutes*
    Stabilize approx 1 minute
    Dry

† developer and stop solution are fresh made. Stop solution is making with Acetic acid glacial 20ml and Sodium Sulfite 10 g dissolved in 1 liter.
    ‡ Replenishment rate of bleach solution is ~ 25ml/ film(all kind of films, Kodak recommended replenishment rate is ~8ml/film, I triple this ).
    ¶ 1st bath fixer solution replenish by second bath fixer. Second bath fixer replenish by fresh solution. Replenish rate is 60ml/film
    * wash with replace water 6 time(1 liter each, ~38 degree C) every 1 minutes 30 seconds. I also prepare extra warm water with a titanium aquarium heater.
    **developer maximum capacity is about 4 films (all kind of 135 and 120)

result:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33560329@N04/tags/jobocpa/

I write down everything at my web page(chinese):
    http://kienhock.blogspot.com/2009/04/c41-development-at-home.html
    Last edited by ahock; 08-21-2009 at 02:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get good result is why I develop my own films. I don't care if it is more cost effective or not. I am willing to spend $200 - $300 in one shot for purchasing bulk C-41 chemicals. Usually such one shot cost will last me more than a year or even a couple of years depending on my processing volume. My time is free for myself. I have endless fun in doing it. I use a Jobo ATL-2300.

Shooter
    35mm
    ***Get good result is why I develop my own films***

Well if using an expensive inkjet for prints or chemicals in a dark room OK? But can you see the difference on a computer screen from home development and from a lab/store (well ignoring the few scratches etc you sometime get from a lab/store)?
    Lets face it a scanner and photoshop are an equaliser.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An equalizer? No, but perhaps a substitute for real photography. Proper exposure, processing, and good printing entail much more skill than the digital alternative, in my opinion.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    An equalizer? No, but perhaps a substitute for real photography. Proper exposure, processing, and good printing entail much more skill than the digital alternative, in my opinion.
    Its true they entail much more skill, but in our web based world the film scanner is sometimes a useful tool to present your work to far more people than could have seen it if you simply had prints displayed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would agree with PE use single use chemicals and mix from the concentrates each time. I suggest buying some good glass pipettes so you can mix the small quantities accurately. I use a jobo processor and in the smallest tank 170ml of mixed chemical is all that is needed. That can mean just a few mls of each component. Accuracy is paramount, if you can achieve it then no problem. I have just developed 1 film, 1/2 an hour ago. Perfect results. It is important that you look after your concentrates though. PE and I have just posted on a thread about PART C C41 regarding this. And APUG is full of advice on this subject.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin