Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,774   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm Pan

Color Film Recommendations for High Contrast Light

I will be going to Montana soon (not to be a dental floss tycoon) and will doing mostly mid day shooting in the mountains. I'm looking for a film recommendation to try and manage the high contrast wide latitude situations that usually arise. If it's cloudy and dull Velvia would be my first choice but for harsh sunlight what do you suggest? Shooting 35mm manual camera so any bracketing for scans and HDR would be difficult.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Gill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you want to shoot slide film in hard light, try Fuji Astia 100F.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kodak Portra 160NC, Fuji Pro 160S, Porta 160VC, Fuji Reala, Kodak HD400 would be my top choices in that order. All are preferable to any slide film I've used in tough light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak EPN or e200 if you can find it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For landscapes [mountians, lakes, snow on the mountians] I recommend Kodak UC 400 for 35mm.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Wow, quick responses, very nice community!

I was leaning toward negative film for the exposure latitude and easy highlight roll off. I'll take some slide film if the weather socks in but I usually run into to much contrast and harsh light when I can't plan to be out at the good hours.

I was considering the Porta(s) but hadn't had any experience with them. I've shot 400UC and lots of Reala both good films but was looking to try something different.

Really appreciate the feedback

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Portra 400NC, that's what it's made for:

This was taken with a Mamiya C330 w/ 55mm f/4.5 lens, in a logger's cabin, New Richmond (QC). Did I hear anybody say "dynamic range" ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bucherons.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd take a variety of negative films if you are looking to make RA prints from compositions with a wide luminance range. I'd probably bring 400NC and 400VC for sure, and possibly Portra 800 and 160NC.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for neg film any of the NC's or Reala would be my choice.

Shooter
    Multi Format

High contrast?

In my experience, mid-day summer light is low contrast, not high. While Velvia/Crayola turns me off, I'd suggest Provia rather than Astia for these conditions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin