Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,076   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    FWIW, I am a former student at your particular school. I can tell you that they will provide C-41 chemicals and processing facilities, so you can do as much C-41 processing as you want yourself for the cost of your semester lab fee ($30 or so, and this also includes as much Kreonite use as you have time for). They have a stainless sink for a water bath, a water temperature control valve, a color thermometer, etc. I'd take advantage of it. Take Martin. She is not only the best teacher there (BY FAR), but she is also the department head (she got this spot after I left), the most intelligent one, the most funny one, the only one who takes her job (that is TEACHING) seriously, and on top of it all, she is the only one that mixes Kodak brand chemicals for her classes. The others use Arista kits, or other cheesy kits that use blix.
    I have Vicki this fall, my schedule says that for the color class (photo 23a), she is teaching it. I'm on the waiting list for her experimental course too (photo 24a). I really hope that I can get both.

It seems that there isn't the ability to process "as many as you want for free" anymore. They give you your first set of chemistry for free, and then after that, you pay for it. I'm not sure if this is for all students, no matter if you have a color class or not, or if you're NOT in a color class, but want to process it anyhow.

I have processed c-41 in a Jobo at the Tri-Community Photo Center in Covina, but because of their recent price increase per semester ($160 for 11 weeks), I can't afford it right now.

I agree though, Vicki Martin is a very, very nice lady. When I worked at Samy's in Pasadena, she came in often, and I got to talk to her a bit while helping her with film and chemistry. I even helped Ed order the chemistry through Samy's rather than Calumet. I'm no longer at Samy's (laid off b/c of slow economy back this January -09)

thanks for the tips, I really hope it is "process as much as you want for free, cause I have about 12 rolls of 120 I've shot that I need to process )

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. I was unaware of the new rule re: chemistry. There was always a gallon kit mixed up for each class, and she would mix a new kit when the capacity was reached.

At any rate, C-41 made by Kodak proper is not all that pricey.

There is a note on the wall of the stockroom that has been there for YEARS, but no longer applies. It says something like: "Color Students: Your first 16 oz. set of C-41 chemistry is free. Additional sets may be purchased for $3.50 each." This is no longer the case. It is just an old note that no one has bothered to take down. The stockroom no longer disperses the color chemicals for one-shot use. Each teacher does so for his/her own class, and they pour back and reuse.

If there is a change, it has come around since last year.

Hope you can get in to 24A. She is the ONLY person worth taking it from. It is HER class more than any other one that she teaches.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sent a roll of 120 Velvia out through my local Wal-Mart in April. Came back in exactly two weeks, sleeved and rolled inside a protective paper tube. Don't exactly remember how much it cost but I think it was about $5.

Shooter
    35mm
    I sent several rolls out in June & July. 120 & 220. C-41. Develop & Sleeve No Prints (written on the envelop). The 6x7 negatives returned sleeved and neatly cut in 5 or 10 pairs. The cost in Houston, TX: $0.84/roll. The zero is not a typo. I have read that prints at time of developing are silly cheap. The most expensive was 5x7 for $0.14/each. 4x6 were like a nickel each.

E-6 price is $5.88/roll. Kodachrome and 35mm E-6 is $6.88/36 exp. roll.

Burn up a bunch of color film. I can't develop B&W for $0.84/roll.

Shooter
    35mm

Wal-Mart for 120...

Just picked-up 120 Portra VC, 'negs' only, for about $1.30!! Neatly sleeved!!

Hope they don't catch on too soon!!

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes they still do. It will go to Dwayne's Photo.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Walmart must have different prices for differeant areas, maybe just different stores. It would be nice to know what states are getting these low prices. I am going to call some near by towns with stores and see if their prices are different.

I would be cheaper to mail the rolls to one of these stores with bargain prices although I am sure that is not possible.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Walmart is definitely the cheapest/best deal for 120 C41/E6 development. They always sleeve and cut my 120 negs into strips of 2 or 3 and place them into an envelope. I believe the variability in prices might be dependent on which Fujicolor facility serves your Walmart.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Walmart must have different prices for differeant areas, maybe just different stores. It would be nice to know what states are getting these low prices. I am going to call some near by towns with stores and see if their prices are different.

I would be cheaper to mail the rolls to one of these stores with bargain prices although I am sure that is not possible.
    The price variation is so slight that postage would negate any difference.

You want someone at Walmart to handle a mail order film processing request? Wake up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin