Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,634   Posts: 1,648,117   Online: 1133

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The main reason to shoot MF is because you want a higher quality negative and though Walmart does ok, I would never send important film to them. I am looking for a lab that turns out professional quality processing consistently.

Steve, who do you use now rather than Dwaynes?

Precision imaging in Chicago is one of the suggestions I have heard of before. Who has has experience with Precision??
    Last edited by stradibarrius; 08-25-2009 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is only one here in Atlanta and I have not been happy with the dust I always get on my negatives. If I am going to mail the film off Chicago, NY, DC or LA are all basically the same.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Philadelphia Photographics (www.philadelphiaphotographics.com) for processing and printing. Film always comes back clean and scratch-free. They also do mail-in; just look online for info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had repeated problems with Dwayne's.
    I believe you, Steve, and that sounds awful, but I've never had Dwayne's do prints for me. Just processing.

You mention Freestyle doing processing, but far as I can see, they don't offer any such service. Only equipment sales. Where are you getting this info from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    C-41 is standardized, so unless you need push/pull, high-res scans or fast turnaround, it doesn't make sense to use an expensive pro lab in my opinion.
    Did you even read the OP? You don't often run into those kinds of problems at pro labs. Your logic works for snapshooting only, IMO, and does not address mishandling of film, which is the issue here.

I use A and I in Los Angeles. They use Refrema dip and dunk machines. They do all the process control stuff they should do.

My only problems have been with them failing to follow instructions, and never with processing quality or film damage or mistreatment.

They will gladly take your work by mail...though there has to be an equivalent somewhere on the east coast.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-26-2009 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    *sigh*

Dale Labs is thus far one of my worst experiences in film processing. My order was sent in over two weeks ago and haven't heard a thing after the initial email confirming my order. Credit card was charged immediately though, two weeks ago. Repeated emails go unanswered.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think Coopers Imaging has been suggested yet. I've used them a few times and they're reasonable on prices and fast. I've also had no problems.
    The lab is in CT which is close to me so return times can be very quick (within a few days).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Although they are somewhat expensive and the shipping return fees are quite high, I have never had any issues with Reed Photo in Denver. They process all film in dip and dunk systems so there are no scratches and all my film has come back sleeved clean.

I've also used Photocraft in Boulder. Their C41 is done on a roll transport system, but they keep it immaculately clean and I've never seen a single scratch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just got my order from Dale Labs. The scans are horrible and the prints - made from the scans and with dust left on them - are equally awful. I don't know about their C-41 work but for E6 they did not meet my expectations. I'll be switching back to Dwaynes.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know if it helps or if we are any closer to you, but we would be happy to do it.

http://www.fototechnika.com/
    http://www.myfototechnika.com/

We are in Jacksonville, Fl (32204). I believe Monroe, GA is closer to Hot-Lanta, but if you feel better mailing it somewhere feel free to do so. We are Dip-n-Dunk on plastic reels for B&W, C-41 and E-6 in house.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin