Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,540   Online: 858

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    I've only used the famous Dwayne's for my C41 120 film. They did a good job for me with pretty fast turnaround.
    I had repeated problems with Dwayne's. One example, when I sent them 120 film with photographs of red rock, including arches, the printing person took it on themselves to make the ground [red rock] green! I sent everything back, paying the postage and wasting my time driving to the post office. I included directions not to correct the color. That made it a special order and they had it for two weeks before a supervisor did the work.

After talking with the supervisor, he recommended that I note on the instructions "Do not correct the color". After that have the rolls were done correctly and half the rolls had to be sent back because again they made the ground green. Repeat the process above.

After several go rounds, I gave up on Dwayne's. BTW, that was not the only problem with Dwayne's.

One can do much better than Dwayne's by reading the recommendations in the thread and by checking out APUG's sponsors.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The main reason to shoot MF is because you want a higher quality negative and though Walmart does ok, I would never send important film to them. I am looking for a lab that turns out professional quality processing consistently.

Steve, who do you use now rather than Dwaynes?

Precision imaging in Chicago is one of the suggestions I have heard of before. Who has has experience with Precision??
    Last edited by stradibarrius; 08-25-2009 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More expensive but good: A&I http://www.aandi.com/index.html
    Color processing [They send black & white to A&I]: Samys http://www.samys.com/
    I have not used FreeStyle for processing, but I have not heard of problems: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php They are an APUG sponsor

There must be good processing companies in Atlanta, Washington DC, New York and other major cities on the East Coast.

I have no experience with Precision imaging in Chicago.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is only one here in Atlanta and I have not been happy with the dust I always get on my negatives. If I am going to mail the film off Chicago, NY, DC or LA are all basically the same.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Philadelphia Photographics (www.philadelphiaphotographics.com) for processing and printing. Film always comes back clean and scratch-free. They also do mail-in; just look online for info.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I had repeated problems with Dwayne's.
    I believe you, Steve, and that sounds awful, but I've never had Dwayne's do prints for me. Just processing.

You mention Freestyle doing processing, but far as I can see, they don't offer any such service. Only equipment sales. Where are you getting this info from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    C-41 is standardized, so unless you need push/pull, high-res scans or fast turnaround, it doesn't make sense to use an expensive pro lab in my opinion.
    Did you even read the OP? You don't often run into those kinds of problems at pro labs. Your logic works for snapshooting only, IMO, and does not address mishandling of film, which is the issue here.

I use A and I in Los Angeles. They use Refrema dip and dunk machines. They do all the process control stuff they should do.

My only problems have been with them failing to follow instructions, and never with processing quality or film damage or mistreatment.

They will gladly take your work by mail...though there has to be an equivalent somewhere on the east coast.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 08-26-2009 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    You mention Freestyle doing processing, but far as I can see, they don't offer any such service. Only equipment sales. Where are you getting this info from?
    Observation. When I am in the Hollywood store, I see people dropping off and picking up film. I have not used their service. Personally, I use Samys for my MF processing and initial prints. Enlargements I have done elsewhere.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    *sigh*

Dale Labs is thus far one of my worst experiences in film processing. My order was sent in over two weeks ago and haven't heard a thing after the initial email confirming my order. Credit card was charged immediately though, two weeks ago. Repeated emails go unanswered.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't think Coopers Imaging has been suggested yet. I've used them a few times and they're reasonable on prices and fast. I've also had no problems.
    The lab is in CT which is close to me so return times can be very quick (within a few days).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin