Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,381   Online: 768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Found: A source of optical prints in UK

Hi I hope no one minds me posting this, its not spam.
    I've just dropped off my 120 film to a chemist near my home, and to my surprise they are still printing on an old Noritsu QSS 1501 machine from the 1990's
    I asked them to print my film optically and they said they could at the price of 30p per print (5"x5") and processing.
    I saw some prints from a Portra 120 film on 5x5 glossy and they looked really nice not over-sharpened like Frontier prints.
    hey are called Hurn Chemist on Unthank Rd in Norwich 01603 767888
    I'm not connected in any way to the firm and if this post is deemed spam moderators please delete.

My reasons for posting are there can't be many old minilabs still printing optically, some members may like to know who offers the service
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Antony; 09-02-2009 at 07:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't know Hurn were geared up for colour - Wasn't impressed with the quality when they did a roll of B&W a couple of years ago. One of these days, I'm going to give Photo & Studio Processing on Hall Rd a try. Will save on trekking out to Horning or East Dereham for the odd roll or two of C41/E6.

P.S. If you want any RA-4 paper, PM me. I've got miles of the stuff sitting in the fridge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Antony View Post
    Hi I hope no one minds me posting this, its not spam.
    I've just dropped off my 120 film to a chemist near my home, and to my surprise they are still printing on an old Noritsu QSS 1501 machine from the 1990's
    I asked them to print my film optically and they said they could at the price of 30p per print (5"x5") and processing.
    I saw some prints from a Portra 120 film on 5x5 glossy and they looked really nice not over-sharpened like Frontier prints.
    hey are called Hurn Chemist on Unthank Rd in Norwich 01603 767888
    I'm not connected in any way to the firm and if this post is deemed spam moderators please delete.

My reasons for posting are there can't be many old minilabs still printing optically, some members may like to know who offers the service
    Mark
    You dropped off colour negative film?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Tom today I dropped of a Portra 800, and saw some rather good results from a Portra 160VC on 5x5 glossy Fuji paper. The thing is these are cheap 30p per print plus film process. If I get time later I'll pick them up and post images of the results.
    I know the Noritsu 1501 quite well if I remember rightly it can do 8x10s and has a Nikon zoom lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recall some of the interviewees on the 'Inside Analog Photo' programme talking about processing film and prints on their personal mini-lab machines. A surprising choice I thought, as Jobo processing is more often considered for an individual photographer's usage, IIRC Bob Carnie uses Jobo machines at Elevator in Toronto.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I picked them up just a hour ago. They are bigger than I thought 6"x6" glossy and pretty good for 30p well usable for proofs.
    here is a quick scan of one of the images:

The film was Portra 800 shot on a Rollei T in dark wooded conditions
    they are a little light for my taste, but the overall result is well worth it for the £6.59 I paid and optical prints lokk different from Frontier type machines thats for sure.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the dust spots visible in the image or the negative, scan, print?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    they are from my quick scan, the prints look fine.
    Here is one scanned with an attempt to match the colours:

Optical prints look different, not better smoother but still sharp, the digital has an edgy sharpness with more grain.
    Analogue warm and cuddly digital print hard and clinical.
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Antony; 09-02-2009 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I find that for some reason analogue color printing produces a very pleasing grain structure while scanning the same negatives gives me lots more dust and particularly ugly grain. Kodak 400 looks good when pushed to 11x14. Good as in moderate grain, but which isn't too noticeable and has a pleasing quality. Sometimes I don't mind a little dust because it says "this came from film, the film way..."

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I find that for some reason analogue color printing produces a very pleasing grain structure while scanning the same negatives gives me lots more dust and particularly ugly grain. Kodak 400 looks good when pushed to 11x14. Good as in moderate grain, but which isn't too noticeable and has a pleasing quality. Sometimes I don't mind a little dust because it says "this came from film, the film way..."
    Usually has to do with the condenser-like (almost point) light source used in typical film scanners. They exaggerate grain and acutance (which can be both good and bad).
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin