Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,996   Online: 992

Shooter
    35mm

Push E200 to 800?

Okay, so the Kodak website says it's all good. And it even says 'Push to 800' on the box. But isn't E200 basically the same film as Elite 200? I actually tried pushing Elite 200 to 800 earlier this year, and the results looked like potty (WAYYY too much contrast, STRONG magenta shift). Can I REALLY expect better from E200 considering that it is really no more than the professional version of Elite 200? Or should I just suck it up and use a tripod if I expect to get natural colors?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't expect "natural" colors or normal contrast if you underexpose and push any film, especially two stops. Doing this always raises contrast and affects color. It is still worth doing it to get a shot, IMO, though it does depend on the criteria for the specific application. It is better than no shot, but you need to recognize that this contrast boost and color change is going to happen. For an underexpose/push to work, the contrast physically has to go up.

You are better off using Provia 400 at 800 IMO. It is inherently flatter, so a one stop underexpose/push does not raise contrast as much as a one stop underexpose/push of a more contrasty (i.e slower) film. Also, that way you only have to push one stops, and will get closer-to-normal color.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-02-2009 at 04:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The pushability of E200 vs. that of Elite Chrome 200 has been debated for a while. From what I have heard, the general consensus is that there is no visible difference when pushed one stop, a noticeable difference at two, and, while the Elite Chrome is unusable at +3 stops, E200 still holds up well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E200 pushes and pulls VERY well. Elite Chrome is so so but not as great which kind of tells me that they may actually be diffrent....I really like E200. It has worked out really well for me but it is kind of expensive. I looked around and found that Liberty Photo supply has the best price. They are a wholesale place that sells to small camera shops. It is about $8.25 if you buy 5 or more and like $8.49 for 1 to 4. Their website says there is a minimum order of 25 but customer service told me that that does not apply and you can order just a couple of rolls.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It is still worth doing it to get a shot, IMO, though it does depend on the criteria for the specific application. It is better than no shot, but you need to recognize that this contrast boost and color change is going to happen.
    Of course, the problem here is that film is not digital in the sense that you can't just push those shots that need to be pushed, and leave the rest at factory ISO. It's all or nothing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F, have you ever shot and pushed E200?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you ask?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    StorminMatt, Provia 400x gives excellent results through ISO 1600 (some examples may be found on RFF). I cannot comment on the Kodak, I don't use it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin