Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,193   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RA4 Dev/Blix disposal?

Down the drain or off to a hazardous waste centre?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Down the drain or off to a hazardous waste centre?
    Down the drain with lots of water.

In fact, blix is very similar to Miracid minus the copper. If used there is some silver halide.

Of course, this depends on the rules where you live. Some areas forbid all chemicals in drains.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been dumping B&W chemicals down the drain with lots of water and no problems. I'll do the same for this stuff, then. Thanks.

Some threads I found online suggested colour chemistry can corrode waste water pipes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color chemistry will destroy copper containing materials. Usually, copper is not used on exit lines, a type of cast iron is and it is as resistant to this chemistry as it is to water and B&W chemistry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Down the drain with lots of water.

In fact, blix is very similar to Miracid minus the copper. If used there is some silver halide.

Of course, this depends on the rules where you live. Some areas forbid all chemicals in drains.

PE
    How about a septic system?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fotch;

IDK. If B&W goes into the system then color should as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No chemicals should go down the drain. Those who say they see no problems mean on they're not aware of any.

It's always best to take your chems to your local toxic waste facility. Do the right thing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PVia;

Do you use a dishwasher or clothes washer? If so, the chemicals go down the drain. Do you take any medications? If so, the metabolic products and some of the chemicals go down the drain. Do you pour coffee down the drain? Aaaaa, Caffeinol developer! How about salad dressing? Stop bath!

Do you have a swimming pool? If so, the backwash goes down the drain with algaecide and chlorine among others. Do you use pesticides on your lawn?

Oh, and in your area, how well do the chip makers dispose of the arsenic, lead, gallium and other heavy metals used to make chips? How well do you dispose of old electronic equipment? Garbage or Toxic waste?

In the final analysis, we can be purists or we can be practical. Do what is best for you, but the small quantity the average photographer produces in the lab is easily washed away. Most of the chemicals are metabolized in waste treatment plants.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK...

I use a dishwasher and clothes washer, always with a biodegradeable detergent.

I take no medications. Coffee goes down my drain, grounds in the garden.

No swimming pool here, although I live in the land of pools.

No pesticides on lawn or in garden.

Electronic waste is accepted by the local waste facility, just brought a TV there.

What industry does, doesn't justify what we as small users do or nudge us to abdicate our responsibility to our communities.

In our modern world we will never be able to eliminate 100% our impact on our surroundings, but at least I know that I'm not releasing any more chemicals than necessary. I'm not a purist or enviro-nut, and yes, I used to dump devs, stops and fixes, but after starting on gum prints, which use pot dichromate, a definite no-no, I decided to bottle everything when finished and make a 4x a year trip to the facility. My conscience is clear and my photography's conscience is clear ;-) and I feel that photographers should own up to their part, however small or minute, of their impact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good for you. Each and every one of us should do what they feel morally obliged to do, but at the same time, they should not freak out. That is my point. If you feel comfortable and the law in your area is obeyed, then things are fine as far as we can take them.

Oh, and I forgot garbage disposal in the sink in my list above and lots more.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin