Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,054   Online: 1258

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Images
    Velvia works, provia works, if you can find some E100VS it works. I find a warming polarizor is a must.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    erm no one recommends Fuji Reala...well I don't know about Autumn shots but the first time I tried it recently I got some great photos rich in colour.......but the problem these days (compared to the old chemical process) is knowing if the scanner is adding the colours.

Last edited by Excalibur2; 09-17-2009 at 04:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur2 View Post
    erm no one recommends Fuji Reala...
    Look more completely.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    I, too, was not impressed with the Ektar 100 under strong daylight.
    I have only used Ektar 100 on a cloudy day and I thought it was very good. I will have to give it a go on a bright day to see what it is like.

Did you rate it at ISO 100? Quite a few reports suggest it works better at EI 80 or even 64. Not sure if that will change its rendition of a blue sky though.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I LOVE Reala, and thus far have had only mixed results with Ektar. If the day isn't too bright I'd also suggest 400UC but...well, difficult to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm off to Algonquin Park in 2 week ends for 4 days of shooting with a few other apug and general photogrpahy pals.

For 35mm I have packed 5 rolls of Provia, 4 rolls of Ektachome GX, and 2 rolls of Ektachrome VS for E-6 and a grab bag of 2 Agfa Optima II , and 2 - Fiji NPZ for circumtances where E-6 might not work out well, like if I get a too contrasty or too dull day. I am hoping to expose mostly chromes.

For 120 I am taking 3 rolls of Provia and 4 rolls of EPP, and maybe a few rolls of 100SW, if I can find them amonst all of the food that is presently packed, having harveseted most of my vegetable garden by now. For c-41 I have packed 10 rols of Fuji NPC, 5 rolls of Kodak Portra, and 1 roll of Fuji NPL which I may use if we get a desire to get natural neutral colours in a strong orange sunset situation.

I have not decided if I want to take any e-6 film for 4x5 work; I can't scan them at present, and I am still tweaking my e-6 processing, so I think that I will keep e-6 contstrainted to other than sheet film types.

Hopefully, the weather is good, and the leaf conditions peak, and I have a great shooting extra long weekend. Nothing suck worse than coming back from a planned photo outing with lots of unexposed film still in the camera bags.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Slide film-

Kodak E100GX is perfect for fall colors IMHO, but it was just discontinued. E100G is also excellent, just a little cooler balance and would be my recommendation. E100VS is warmer balanced, but higher contrast. In the right setting it could work really well.

That said, I've shot fall color on Provia 100F and Astia 100F too. I think Astia does a nice job with the yellow leaves, but the blue sky is not its strength. Provia has a slightly cool look to it.

Color negative-

I also find the new Ektar to be a little weird. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but red/orange look a little strange and blue tends toward an electric cyan. I've used Portra 160 NC, VC and Pro160S with fall colors with success.

I'm planning to shoot this fall on 4X5 E100G, E100VS, Portra 160VC and E100GX on 35mm (I have a stockpile).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Kodachrome is excellent with fall colors, as it's strength is in reds and yellows. However, it's difficult to find, and expensive when you do find it.
    I'd still shoot Kodachrome. As you say, Kodachrome's reds, oranges, and yellows make it one of the best choices out there for fall colors. Also, if you are shooting fall colors at high altitude (like California's Eastern Sierra or the Colorado Rockies), Kodachrome gives a REALLY nice dark, navy blue sky like no other film can. This makes a most excellent backdrop to the mountains and changing leaves.

Aesthetic qualities aside, I can think of one more reason to shoot Kodachrome rather than something else. Velvia, Provia, Ektar, Portra, and all those other E6 and C41 films will most likely be around in a couple of years. Kodachrome WON'T. If you don't shoot it this fall or next, you will NEVER be able to shoot the fall colors with it. And, if anything, it will probably be harder to get a year from now. So shoot it now while you still have the chance.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    ... So shoot it now while you still have the chance.
    Absolutely right. "Use it or lose it". If you've got Kodachrome shoot it while you still can.

RT
    "Get over it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Reala + redhancer filter or Velvia 100 + redhancer

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin