Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 745

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Infared

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Kodak Aero Ektachrome was used in forrestery to identify if trees were alive or dead, and for military aerial recon. to see through camoflage.
    From what I've read, it still is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Kodak still makes Aerochrome which is color infrared E-6 film. They only make it in large sizes, but there is a guy selling it rolled up into 120 on ebay and on his website.
    Does he cut it to 4x5 sheets? Unfortunately, 120 is probably the one common format I don't shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I would think that the reason it was never made as a negative is that because it is "false color", there would be absolutely no way to calibrate the print color. You couldn't shoot a Macbeth color chart with it and then compare the print against the Macbeth.
    As long as the color was different enough to be distinctive and identifiable, I don't know why it would have to be perfectly calibrated. One would think that the extra latitude of negative film would have been of more importance.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I would think that the reason it was never made as a negative is that because it is "false color", there would be absolutely no way to calibrate the print color. You couldn't shoot a Macbeth color chart with it and then compare the print against the Macbeth.
    You'd have to set the base of the film to grey and get what you get. You could always push it around to see what you like best.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    Does he cut it to 4x5 sheets? Unfortunately, 120 is probably the one common format I don't shoot...
    I believe the base is too thin to use with 4x5 equipment. Too bad really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Ben,

It was rather intended at distinguishing between camouflage and real plants, not to see through camouflage.
    Agreed, AgX, thanks, I didn't explain it very well, but that's what I meant .
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll have to be more specific too.

Some IR films can "see through" camoflage. An encampment or hot equipment can actually be viewed through most camoflage. You have to use some pretty sophisticated camoflage to fool modern IR detectors. This includes heat dumping or your area becomes intolerably hot if the camoflage is built to limit heat emissions.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    PE, do you mean that there are/were films sensitive to 1000nm? IIRC, thermal cameras see at that wavelength and above

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    I believe the base is too thin to use with 4x5 equipment. Too bad really.
    I contacted the guy who cuts this stuff to size, and he said,

"hello,

yes, cutting 4x5 sheets is a bit challenging, but i do offer it.

the film is not exactly designed for that. the material tends to bow a bit in the film holder, so you have to be careful with that, but it does work. i charge the same price for my material regardless of whether you buy 120 rolls, 4x5 or 5x7. is isnt cheap!

i cut a minimum of 12 sheets per order at a cost of $8.00 per sheet. so that would be $96.00 for 12 sheets.

dean bennici"
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    PE, do you mean that there are/were films sensitive to 1000nm? IIRC, thermal cameras see at that wavelength and above
    There are infrared detectors that determine infrared beyond 0.9 microns [900 nm]. These can be in digital cameras, but I believe PE is referring to electro-optical equipment.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    There were films that see to that wavelength and beyond.

See attached wedge spectrograms! The long IR film data is actually truncated due to the equpment itself. The film sees beyond that a bit.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dye types.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak Buzz Lightyear film
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin