Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,442   Online: 1205

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Kodachrome 40 OCT 79 in super 8... Bad?

Well, I have a roll of Kodachrome 40, boxed, unopened in foil package that expired in OCT 79 and some more K40, opened and in the camera.

I plan on shooting both with a Bell & Howell Filmosound 8 which appears to be a fully automatic super 8 camera.

What should I do? Shoot and pray? Have Dwaynes push a stop?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I burned a roll of K40 that expired in the same year, there will be images but there will be a heavy, pink cast. Shoot it anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also shot a roll from approx the 1980s & it had a strong magenta cast & weak blacks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How can you not shoot it? I personally would ask Dwayne's to return the cartridge. They will. I have had them do it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As of a year ago I was able to order a roll of repackaged K40 from Wittnerchrome which is still in date (maybe they fudged that by a few years...) You might still be able to though I think I payed about $40 including snail mail from germany or wherever that place is. I have yet to shoot it but I sort of have to soon.

Pushing will get you worse images. If anything the proper course of action would be to pull the film and overexpose it by several stops or just plain overexpose by a stop or two. That may not be possible with your camera (or 98% of super8 cameras.) No matter what you'll get a magenta cast because the re-exposures will not be properly calibrated and you'll get speed/contrast loss and loss of dmax. Fun. Don't use it on anything important. but still fun. I've heard the rule of thumb is 20 years but there was very little K40 made in the 90s.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin