Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,091   Online: 836

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Contact Printing Objects on Color Paper

In desire for a change of pace, I've been thinking of contact printing colored leaves or various objects on color paper and either contact reversing them (too bad about the backprints) or scanning. Have people done this frequently before with color paper? I've done it with black and white... Does this seem like something interesting to do?

and any idea on filtration? I assume I'd balance the paper density to neutral grey and then the exposure to black or maybe a stop or two beyond.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    In desire for a change of pace, I've been thinking of contact printing colored leaves or various objects on color paper and either contact reversing them (too bad about the backprints) or scanning. Have people done this frequently before with color paper? I've done it with black and white... Does this seem like something interesting to do?

and any idea on filtration? I assume I'd balance the paper density to neutral grey and then the exposure to black or maybe a stop or two beyond.
    yes, try a "neutral" color pack (say the one listed in/ or on the box<at least on Supra endura, 65Y/55M>) post some results, I'll bet they'll be interesting .

btw, i've been thinking of trying this for a while, and making some diptych-style prints with it, one off, etc...

of course everything will reverse in color (green leaf--> magenta leaf in print...

in regards to the backprinting, try getting your hands on a roll of the fujiflex display material. I believe it doesn't have any backprinting whatsoever, due to the fact that it is intended for back-lit displays.

best of luck, and please post some examples when you have some ready to show

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want justy a straight colour reversal, then it is usually possible to dial in enough added Y and M to simulate the orange that the mask usually has, on top of the box recommended filter settings. The other option is to place a bank film leader in the neg carrier to do this colour mask function, and then dial in only the box settings.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    this actually wouldn't be a bad time to try the straight color reversal process. I've looked at the transparency materials like enduratrans and they're awesome and I'd love to try them but they are sold in multiples of 24 inches by like 4 miles with a cost of $600 a pop but you have to buy 2...

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're careful, you can peel off a layer of the paper on the back so that there isn't any backprinting. This kind of leaves an interesting look to the film, as the paper kind of 'tufts' up. It is kind of hard to describe. You can also get non backprinted paper, I know diversifiedimaging.net carries it, IIRC, it is Mitsubishi paper, which is fairly similar to Fuji paper. If you have lens filters, try playing with them over the paper as well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You can get carried away, and back light the object multiple times with different colors of light at different angles.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin