Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,301   Online: 947

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    Astia is the lowest color saturation of all these films. Probably best for portraits.
    Astia is basically an E6 that behaves like a C41 film. If you like the look and latitude of negative film, but prefer to view your pictures with a slide projector or prefer to scan slides rather than negatives, then Astia is a good choice. But if you prefer the 'punch' typical of chrome, Astia is not for you.

Shooter
    35mm

Which 100 Slide Film

I have a correction to make to my last posting. Since then I was at Unique. Astia is $4.79 a roll. They had EB but no EBX.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you like super saturated colors, go for the Kodak Ektachrome 100VS. Picked up some rolls at Dury's this summer and love it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh one more thing, if you decide to shoot some of the 100VS, try underexposing by 1/2 stop. The colors are amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should try one of each some day soon. They are all good films, IMO.

For what you want at the air show, I would try E100G (or Elite Chrome 100) or Provia 100 (or Sensia 100). Use exposure to alter saturation (underexpose a tad to raise saturation, at the expense of shadow detail). The E100VS would be nice too, but contrastier. I do not know if EPP is available in 35mm, but if it is, it is probably what I would use myself.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-26-2009 at 07:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Perhaps the best slide film on the market right now, IMHO, is astia 100F. That, velvia 100, and provia 400x are my standards.
    Imo its been the best since it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    Astia is basically an E6 that behaves like a C41 film. If you like the look and latitude of negative film, but prefer to view your pictures with a slide projector or prefer to scan slides rather than negatives, then Astia is a good choice. But if you prefer the 'punch' typical of chrome, Astia is not for you.

Astia doesnt behave like a C41 film, it's the finest grained film in chromes, and has the most nautral colour, and Id also wager it handles true saturated colours better than anything else (such as colours already vivid and intense to the naked eye).

Astia also has an amazing reciprocity rate, the opposite of C41 films :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i really like provia 100f it works well for me
    "Why thats one of those old black and white cameras aint it?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I really appreciate all this feedback. It is an immense help, since I have zero experience with the new emulsions. I've been kinda busy with other stuff, so I haven't had the chance yet to act on your advice. Gotta make up for that, though -- I'll order some this week. Do y'all have a preferred seller? Freestyle? B&H? Adorama? Dwaynes? An eBay seller maybe?

About the Astia, since it seems to have somewhat lower of a contrast and extremely fine grain, I'm thinking that it might be an ideal film to use if I'm planning to dupe the slides later. I've noticed -- and not just now using a digital duplicator, but back in the days when I'd dupe slides using film -- that the contrast increases with a dupe unless one used special duplicating film or prefogged their Kodachrome 25. As a result, the shadows tend to block up, and some detail is lost in areas bordering between midrange and shadow. Seems to me that Astia might be a viable option for this.

Shooter
    35mm

Astia pleases me

Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post

About the Astia, since it seems to have somewhat lower of a contrast and extremely fine grain, I'm thinking that it might be an ideal film to use if I'm planning to dupe the slides later. I've noticed -- and not just now using a digital duplicator, but back in the days when I'd dupe slides using film -- that the contrast increases with a dupe unless one used special duplicating film or prefogged their Kodachrome 25. As a result, the shadows tend to block up, and some detail is lost in areas bordering between midrange and shadow. Seems to me that Astia might be a viable option for this.
    I've been in love with Astia from roll one. What always amazes me about it is how it makes me look like I'm an expert on some side-branch of photography every time I shoot something outside my norm. For example, while I seldom shoot cars, this yellow beauty caught my eye at a highway diner...

And Astia captured it nicely for me. It just looks *good* - everyhting I shoot with it. IMHO of course. I bet you could find ten guys here that look at this shot and say wow... bet that would have looked awesome on Velvia! Or Provia, or whatever. Your opinion is all that matters in these things, so try a few and see which one captures things the way you like.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cool old '57 Chevy -- an American icon if there ever was one. So, Wolfeye, what did you use to digitize your slide with? Any post processing?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin