Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,851   Online: 899

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    Normally, if I read such a question, I'd assume that people would point the TO to a variety of film lists online, where one would find comparisons and parametrized decision charts. But these lists do not exist, instead I see the question "which film?" posted over and over again, and multiple answers of the "I use XYZ and it works great" or "ZYX looks like crap!" kind. Many hobbyist photographers start a new venue when an important moment comes. I got tons of gear shortly before my first kid arrived, now that my second kid is about due, an RZ67 is on its way. Testing 20 different films is great in the long run, but doesn't work when someone just wants to get started quickly.

I see two possible ways for us to help newcomers with their film decision:
    1. We could start galleries for different film types, either here or in the gallery section. These galleries would not focus on artistic composition or dramatic captures, but on the qualities of the film in question. If other forums can do this with lenses and cameras, we could do it with films. Questions specific to one film could be posted here and the answers can be found easily by later newcomers.
    2. We could start a sticky thread which lists films based on their measurable qualities: latitude, contrast, skin color reproduction, color saturation, grain, ... Obviously, each film entry could point to its associated gallery if available.
    AN EXCELLENT IDEA!
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Wikipedia has a neat little list with basic info regarding saturation, grain, etc.
    That's a wonderful list, unfortunately Kodak's films are barely covered on this page. I'm a lot more confused by Kodak's naming scheme (especially for E6), also due to the fact that Kodak uses different names for the same emulsion in different countries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah I can't help you with Kodak chromes or any data about them 'cos I know nothing about them... but if someone here does, then by implication what I'm saying is that they should go add that information to wikipedia.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll go with the Kodak Elite Chrome, I always like it!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hopefully Elitechrome 100 isn't like Elitechrome 200. I once bought 10 rolls box of it, fresh. I've shot eight rolls from that box during two years. Overexposed, underexposed, exposed normally. In various places, with different cameras, lenses etc. Processed by various labs. But there's one common factor:

It's crap. Every single roll, every single photo, is magenta. More or less. I really hate the magenta tinge and I can find only two reasons for it: The film is designed that way, or Kodak produced a load of crap emulsion when I bought mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't shot any Elitechrome 200, and only a few rolls of Eletechrome 100, with the most recent being about a month ago. But I like the 100 a lot, a whole lot, and plan to shoot more. Colors are very natural and certainly no magenta cast.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of my Elite Chrome 200 examples have turned out fine, save for one roll. However, that roll was bad because of bad processing, not bad film. It is grainier than the 100 speed version, although not by much.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pick one and try it. You're not likely to go wrong. Sensia, Velvia 100F, Velvia 100, Provia 100F, Elite Chrome, Kodachrome, E100VS...I've tried them all and never gone wrong. My last sensia roll was a little magenta though, no idea what caused it. Might've been processing. I was probably pushing my developer 45 rolls beyond stated capacity anyways.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Sensia, Velvia 100F, Velvia 100, Provia 100F, Elite Chrome, Kodachrome, E100VS...I've tried them all and never gone wrong.
    To the best of my knowledge, there isn't (and never has been) a Kodachrome 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Elite Chrome is expired or is exposed to heat it will turn red.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin