Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,646   Online: 694

Shooter
    Medium Format

EP2 color paper - any use for it?

Recently I was given a heap of old darkroom equipment. Along with it came an unopened package of 10 sheets 12x16" Tetenal color negative paper.

After browsing the included booklet I learned that this paper is for the older EP2 process (pre-RA4).

So my question is, can I use this paper for anything? Does it work in any way with modern RA4 chemistry?

/Tobias

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a whole bunch of the stuff, and even mixed up the modified RA-4 chemistry ( as I recall it was 12mL per litre of Benzyl Alcohol and a bit of bromide to try to image with it. It needed really heavy filtration, as I recall, and it had a yelow cast/stain to it, even when I got the filter pack as close to neutral as I could get it. It takes a longer time to develop than RA-4, and I have used RA-4 blix for the longer EP/2 time, althoigh I do not know if extending that part of the process is needed.

I have used some 16x20 strickly as a handy material to be a mask, to make the right sized 'windows' on my vaccuuum easel. I have alos toyed with the thoight of bleaching it then using it as a substrate to coat alt process photos on.

Until that day of experimentation comes, it sits in a rarely used part of the darkroom.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The heavy filtration and yellow stain will be normal if using EP-2 paper today even in "good" EP-2 chemistry. Adding the Benzyl Alcohol is correct, but it is about 13.5 ml / L of RA-4 developer and not 12.

It used 3.5' at 88 deg F. for development.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ron. So I was not nuts. I am glad that I gave up on getting any closer to neutral and white when I did.

I did play with an old ep/2 kit with it before trying the RA-4 adaptation. The developer agent bottle looked mollasses, so I tosed in some dry CD-3 (or was that CD-4 - no notes at hand here as I type) of a weight to correspond to the g/l concentration of an old BJP or somewhere else formula. The reslts were not a lot different from the RA-4, but different filtration was need, as would be expected, to get to the same-ish off white with yellow stain.
    my real name, imagine that.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use separate bleach and fix. Follow developer with a sulfite stop both. It is still inferior to RA4.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all, thanks a lot for your answers. I think I might do some experiments some day, but after all its only ten sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    Use separate bleach and fix. Follow developer with a sulfite stop both. It is still inferior to RA4.
    I have to add that it is inferior due to keeping and also because it was an off brand made in Japan (probably) and they had some problems. RA targeted 4 things. Development rate, dye stability, benzyl alcohol and keeping. The first 3 versions of Supra pretty much made all of these goals but the keeping. It still lost red speed. Endura now keeps better than any of the Supra series.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin