Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,671   Posts: 1,481,795   Online: 1092

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I had a problem with some kodachrome received recently too. Some slides showed a very distinct part(like 1 stop underexposed) across some of the slide.

here's an example. I was using a fill flash, and I know that the shutter and sync is working properly, and 80% of the others don't show this problem. Does Kodachrome have to be re-exposed in the processing?

IDK if this could have caused the problem.

please forgive the dollar signs. my scanner software is a demo !!!

-Dan
    Do you have others you could post? I'm trying to look at the ambient vs. background but it looks like the natural shadows fall in roughly the same area as where the line is so it's hard to tell if that was a mechanical error in your camera or something with the processing.

Yes Kodachrome does need to be reexposed but AFIK the lights are all colored to develop the different bases, and it is reexposed in between the development stages of different layers of the film (develop, expose, develop, expose...). So I would expect a reexposure error to have a heavy color cast.

Also, what kind of camera were you using? Were you using something with a vertical traveling multiblade shutter or a side curtain shutter like a Pentax K1000?
    Last edited by PeteZ8; 09-22-2009 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is pretty obvious that you set your shutter over your cameras sync-speed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's a camera error. If you processed it in a film chain, any issues would be running the length of the film not across it. Plus if you look at the sun on the right it's the same while the people are darker.

I've had a slide mounted incorrectly out of the 10 rolls I've sent them over the years. Even that one wasn't bad you could sort of see the sprockets. I tried to ask for unmounted slides when I sent a roll through walmart but the reply was "sorry, we're set up to mount them" or something like that. IF you send them directly will they forgo the mounting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I send it to them direct & always ask for unmounted, they send it back as a sleeved uncut roll. I then cut them in strips of 6 frames & put in my archival sleeves.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One has the option now of getting slides unmounted, by mailing directly to Dwayne's...I declined that option this time, obviously.

Kudos to them for offering, being fair.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...this is not a process problem. It is a user error.

regards.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I had a problem with some kodachrome received recently too. Some slides showed a very distinct part(like 1 stop underexposed) across some of the slide.

here's an example. I was using a fill flash, and I know that the shutter and sync is working properly, and 80% of the others don't show this problem. Does Kodachrome have to be re-exposed in the processing?

IDK if this could have caused the problem.

please forgive the dollar signs. my scanner software is a demo !!!

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...you'll have to unmount the frames and remount them. This is a mounter problem. Likely a dull blade.

dw

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    The long awaited package has arrived from Dwayne's -- 10 rolls of film from a recent trip to China. Once in a lifetime, really, in terms of the trip and the film choice since Kodak's announcement of the future of Kodachrome.

Sifting through the hundreds of slides, a few things became apparent right away.

• Kodachrome is totally unique.

• Dwayne's has some problems mounting slides.

An average of 20% of the slides show the edge & sprocket holes due to faulty mounting, and being mounted off-kilter. This is just unacceptable.

I haven't seen any scratches or other faults, and at least with wonky mounting the entire image is still printable/scannable, but...

Has anyone else had this problem? I plan to write a polite but firm message to Dwayne's about this issue - I'm not looking for battles - but wanted to let everyone know and see if this is common or just a one-off oddity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's pretty sad, but my slides always come back with either dust or scratches, or both. Scratches aren't that common, but when they happen it's always to the best shot in the whole roll of course...
    They're the only game in town, so beggers cant be choosers I guess, but I dont send them my E-6 stuff.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    The trick to minimize the enevitable Dwayne's K-14 mounting/cutting problems is to only shoot film in a camera that you know has consistent film spacing, and NEVER shoot to the end of the roll, 35 max unless you want that last frame cut in half/taped. They use quite a bit of the end to tape each roll end to end for there Cine processor.

The processing itself always looks great, but the handling and service is poor. I would quite easily say that 50% of my film comes back with some issue. My favorite is the familiar end image cut in half with the rest of the roll cut through the edge of each image, AND half a frame cut off on both sides sitting loose in the box. Sending multiple rolls in a box and getting back ten mounted rolls worth of loose slides in a thin padded envelop because all they used was scotch tape to hold the slide boxes shut - which the slides are now stuck to, is another. Again, I sent some film in via Fuji marked Do Not Cut, and instead of returning them unprocessed, they went ahead and cut the film and included a note saying 'Do Not Cut' is not a service they offer (though they do it for direct orders).

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Wonky mounting, bad cutting, marks and dust were the main reason I stopped using Kodachrome a couple of years ago (I raised the issue at the time and a thread followed) The British and European processing were in my long experience excellent but good ol' Dwayne's couldn't seem to get to grips with these most basic aspects of film processing. At the price of Kodachrome (and the fact that the price includes processing in the UK), I'm damned I'll be spending valuable hours of my life mounting slides just because they can't get it right. Goodbye Kodachrome, hello Fuji....
    I wonder how many others (whether on APUG or not) abandoned Kodachrome because of the poor/inconsistent processing and whether if the service had been better more people would have continued to use it?

Steve

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin