Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,219   Online: 871

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Alex,
    Who are you using for E6 processing these days?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Wonky mounting, bad cutting, marks and dust were the main reason I stopped using Kodachrome a couple of years ago (I raised the issue at the time and a thread followed) The British and European processing were in my long experience excellent but good ol' Dwayne's couldn't seem to get to grips with these most basic aspects of film processing.
    This is why I stopped using Dwayne's a few years ago. They are only interested in processing as fast as they can and they don't need no stinkin' quality control.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Do you have others you could post? I'm trying to look at the ambient vs. background but it looks like the natural shadows fall in roughly the same area as where the line is so it's hard to tell if that was a mechanical error in your camera or something with the processing.

Yes Kodachrome does need to be reexposed but AFIK the lights are all colored to develop the different bases, and it is reexposed in between the development stages of different layers of the film (develop, expose, develop, expose...). So I would expect a reexposure error to have a heavy color cast.

Also, what kind of camera were you using? Were you using something with a vertical traveling multiblade shutter or a side curtain shutter like a Pentax K1000?

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Yes, it was shot with a K1000. Using a Vivitar 283 on camera. If I remember correctly, I was using 60th for shutter speed (for ambient sunny behind)(max shutter sync speed on k1000) and aperture for flash fill.

I might have accidentally set it at 1/125th or so, its my bad. I've just never had this happen before at all. But since it is in the same place in every frame, I guess it was my bad after all. Oh well, live and learn
    here are some more.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    This is why I stopped using Dwayne's a few years ago. They are only interested in processing as fast as they can and they don't need no stinkin' quality control.

Steve
    Amen to that! My last roll (of E-6) that I got back came back as a clear strip of acetate. The only reason I sent it to them was to use up the old Kodak mailers, but damned if I'm going to use them any more!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have never had a problem with them on my E-6 just one roll of Kodachrome and a few 120 b/w rolls. How is Samy's with their processing? I hear that they are offering $5.00 E-6 processing and I am considering switching,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only sent a couple rolls of Kodachrome to Dwayne's in the past year or so and they came back just fine with no problems. They even called me with a question on one order and the lady was helpful and friendly on the phone.

That being said, I sent them some 120 B&W for processing and scanning that I didn't want to do myself for some reason and the scans indicted there was a lot of dust - more like fuzz or hairs on the negatives that weren't blown off before scanning, so I think they have room for improvement on their cleanliness.

I still have one roll of K200 and one roll of K64 in my freezer that I suppose will get shot and sent to them before the end of next year, but it seems to me Kodachrome has been suffering a long and slow death. I wish it was like the old days when I could drop a roll of Kodachrome off at my local K-Mart and it would get sent to a Kodak lab in Chicago or Dallas and would come back beautifully processed with lovingly care.

I'm ready to move on now and have been exploring Kodak's line of E-6 films which I can get processed locally. I'm really impressed with some of these as well as some of Fuji's transparency films. Yes, I'll miss Kodachrome since I used it for so many years, but it looks like I'll get along just fine without it. Like others, I prefer more selection instead of less.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    I have never had a problem with them on my E-6 just one roll of Kodachrome and a few 120 b/w rolls. How is Samy's with their processing? I hear that they are offering $5.00 E-6 processing and I am considering switching,
    I have been using Samy's for over a year with no problems. [ Of course, I can walk in and talk them directly and that might be difficult for you.]

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do my own E-6, and have never had a problem with Dwayne's wrt Kodachrome. For me the turn around time for Dwayne's is about 5-day, for my E-6 it's about 2 months.

Shooter
    35mm
    Latest K64 back this morning...15 days door-to-door and first class processing as usual.

These are the process-paid films as sold in the UK, and posted to-and-from Dwaynes via Kodak Switzerland. The boxes and mounts are Kodak branded....I don't know if all this involves any extra QC? If so, I hope that Kodak keep an eye on standards right up until the end of next year.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What will they do about it? If you shoot Kodakchrome, you've got one choice for color processing, period. Kodak isn't going to fire up the old processors just because Dwaynes isn't doing great quality.

Like the OP, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the slides returned from Dwaynes. I didn't have a particular objection, but they just didn't seem top quality to me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin