Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,900   Posts: 1,555,801   Online: 821

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    What will they do about it? If you shoot Kodakchrome, you've got one choice for color processing, period. Kodak isn't going to fire up the old processors just because Dwaynes isn't doing great quality.

Like the OP, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the slides returned from Dwaynes. I didn't have a particular objection, but they just didn't seem top quality to me.
    I've no idea what they'd do!! In my experience, there isn't an issue at the moment, and I just said that I hoped Kodak would keep it that way for the next 12 months. :rolleyes:

Kodachrome certainly doesn't work for everyone, depends on preferences, equipment and working practices, subjects and color vision, and other films may be better for any one photographer. I wouldn't use it for landscapes on dull days, for example. And certainly not, obviously, for a once-in-a-lifetime trip...the thought of relying on two trips half-way round the world to a single processor for each film would be too much for my nerves! (Own processing of E-6...can't blame anyone else then. )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a year ago, Dwayne's was doing really, really, really good work with E-6 and K-14...not so much any more.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    railwayman - I made a deliberate choice to shoot Kodachrome for this trip. It was an informed choice, knowing full well K64's future and the processing option - but one made because Kodachrome is simply like no other film.

It would be nice if the mounting were better quality, but no slides were damaged or images lost. For that I'm thankful.

I'm also absolutely ecstatic at the images that returned to me, and it is simply confirmation that I made the right choice. I shot a mountain of B&W as well, but these were very different and thus very special. I made the right choice, beyond any doubt.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I hope they maintain a good quality. It isn't nice to have scratched KR slides. If they are dusty, well, maybe those can be cleaned, but scratched, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    I've no idea what they'd do!! In my experience, there isn't an issue at the moment, and I just said that I hoped Kodak would keep it that way for the next 12 months. :rolleyes:

Kodachrome certainly doesn't work for everyone, depends on preferences, equipment and working practices, subjects and color vision, and other films may be better for any one photographer. I wouldn't use it for landscapes on dull days, for example. And certainly not, obviously, for a once-in-a-lifetime trip...the thought of relying on two trips half-way round the world to a single processor for each film would be too much for my nerves! (Own processing of E-6...can't blame anyone else then. )
    I plan to bring 3 of the 4-5 rolls I may order next week to my once in a lifetime summer 2010 trip. But, of course, there are relatives there, if there weren't I wouldn't bring a film of that caliber; Kodachrome
    E6 is enough for photographing stuff around, KR is overkill unless that place is special to me, or there are relatives to expose in film.
    A film roll that has traveled half of the world, sounds exotic to me. I wouldn't lose my nerves, just impatience to see the slides And that little "if it gets lost..."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't lose my nerves, just impatience to see the slides
    Touché !

Nothing else looks like this film. I'm very glad I made the choice I did - keep in mind the subject matter, which I knew about beforehand, is well suited to this film also. It was shots of villages, streets, etc. with a lot of people photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    What will they do about it? If you shoot Kodakchrome, you've got one choice for color processing, period. Kodak isn't going to fire up the old processors just because Dwaynes isn't doing great quality.

Like the OP, I was underwhelmed by the quality of the slides returned from Dwaynes. I didn't have a particular objection, but they just didn't seem top quality to me.
    You could send them back with a complaint and they will promptly lose your slides for no extra charge.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    railwayman - I made a deliberate choice to shoot Kodachrome for this trip. It was an informed choice, knowing full well K64's future and the processing option - but one made because Kodachrome is simply like no other film.

It would be nice if the mounting were better quality, but no slides were damaged or images lost. For that I'm thankful.

I'm also absolutely ecstatic at the images that returned to me, and it is simply confirmation that I made the right choice. I shot a mountain of B&W as well, but these were very different and thus very special. I made the right choice, beyond any doubt.
    That's great, pleased that all worked out well. I have a once-in-a-lifetime trip next year, and will be using some Kodachrome, but with E-6 and B&W in a second body to cover all eventualities.

I just get a bit tired when people (not you) knock Kodachrome/Dwaynes when they have, as is their choice, already moved to another film. We know Kodachrome processing is finished next year, the film is virtually sold out everywhere now, and E-6 doesn't have to be sent to Dwaynes if they're not happy with the service. :rolleyes:

Can't say I've had any problems with mounting so far, maybe just been lucky. Seems they've done the difficult part (processing) well and messed up on the easy bit at the end.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 09-24-2009 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    You could send them back with a complaint and they will promptly lose your slides for no extra charge.

Steve
    Has that happened to you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has that happened to you?
    It did with Qualex. I do not mail my films out any more.

I had some repeated QC problems with Dwayne's. I documented them here at APUG when they happened.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I just get a bit tired when people (not you) knock Kodachrome/Dwaynes when they have, as is their choice, already moved to another film.
    I'm probably one of the people referred to. I have never knocked Kodachrome but see no reason why I shouldn't report on my experiences with Dwayne's (or any other service or product) when the subject is up for discussion.

Steve

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin