Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,173   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Dwayne's Kodachrome processing -- hmmm.

The long awaited package has arrived from Dwayne's -- 10 rolls of film from a recent trip to China. Once in a lifetime, really, in terms of the trip and the film choice since Kodak's announcement of the future of Kodachrome.

Sifting through the hundreds of slides, a few things became apparent right away.

• Kodachrome is totally unique.

• Dwayne's has some problems mounting slides.

An average of 20% of the slides show the edge & sprocket holes due to faulty mounting, and being mounted off-kilter. This is just unacceptable.

I haven't seen any scratches or other faults, and at least with wonky mounting the entire image is still printable/scannable, but...

Has anyone else had this problem? I plan to write a polite but firm message to Dwayne's about this issue - I'm not looking for battles - but wanted to let everyone know and see if this is common or just a one-off oddity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crap! I just sent them my rolls I shot this summer ... I've had issues about this with them a few years ago. I vowed never to use them again back then, but they redeemed themselves processing my 110 film recently. I hope they don't fcuk up again. They're also not the most pleasant people to deal with over the phone from what I recall.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are mounted by a machine which is fully automatic and many times they cut slides in half. You may want to mount yourself.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a problem with some kodachrome received recently too. Some slides showed a very distinct part(like 1 stop underexposed) across some of the slide.

here's an example. I was using a fill flash, and I know that the shutter and sync is working properly, and 80% of the others don't show this problem. Does Kodachrome have to be re-exposed in the processing?

IDK if this could have caused the problem.

please forgive the dollar signs. my scanner software is a demo !!!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't had those problems but they have sent me the dirtiest slides I've ever seen. I've come to terms with that.
    I'm going to see if they'll return them uncut and unmounted.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the same problem with sprocket holes on a roll of Kodachrome. Also, some black and white 120 I sent in had development problems with areas of over development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Development, so far, looks just fine. And it seems clean -- again, so far.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    An average of 20% of the slides show the edge & sprocket holes due to faulty mounting, and being mounted off-kilter. This is just unacceptable.
    There should be enough play in the mount to manually adjust the slide within the mount. If the slide is tacked into the mount your may need to totally re-mount the slide, which I have never had to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had about 20 rolls of fuji E6 film processed and mounted by Dwayne's over the past year and haven't had any problems with them.

Sat Kartar

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Crap! I just sent them my rolls I shot this summer ... I've had issues about this with them a few years ago. I vowed never to use them again back then, but they redeemed themselves processing my 110 film recently. I hope they don't fcuk up again. They're also not the most pleasant people to deal with over the phone from what I recall.

Regards, Art.
    You also don't have a choice, short of throwing your exposed rolls of Kodachrome into the dumpster.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin