Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,188   Online: 676
      
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 94
  1. #41
    hrst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,300
    Images
    1
    jimmyp, I find that every processing solution changes color when processing color material. Fixers, wash waters, developers and stops all turn pink. The effect is biggest in the first solutions, dev and stop. I've deducted that sensitizing dyes come off from the film when processing, causing this, and it has no effect in chemicals. This is true to many BW films like TMAX as well. Maybe some products lose their dyes faster (that is, only to developer) than others.

    In E6, there is no wash between bleach and fix. The same is true with Ilfochrome. Then again, with C-41, there is a long wash between them. Funny.

  2. #42
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,265
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Several of the vendors listed previously also offer the Trebla FilmPAC for about $70. This kit is supposed to have everything needed to process C-41 and does not use BLIX. It's way less expensive than the $257 quoted earlier. You would need to go through a lot of film to make that worthwhile (maybe start your own mini-lab for friends and family?).
    I tried finding the Trebla option and although a few places list the "FilmPac" on their websites they don't stock it anymore and I couldn't find it anywhere in the US. It indeed looked like an economical option with the ability to process close to 500 rolls for around 70 bills.

    You can still source the individual Trebla components but if I end up going this route I will use Kodak.

    It also appears no one that will ship has everything so I'll have to order from 2 places...or maybe take a trip up to NYC so I can walk into B&H.

    Such a PITA.

  3. #43
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    The C-41 and E6 first developers will become colored due to absorber and trimmer dyes in the coating. If you use a pre-wet, this effect takes place in the pre-wet water.

    Bleach carry over into the fix is not harmful, but does shorten the life of the fix. In E6, it helps continue some level of bleach action during fixation I suppose.

    PE

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chorley, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    129
    I have noted the cautionary comments about sing blix and the possibility of incomplete processing of colour negative film. Do the same comments apply to XP2 film?
    Cheers
    Jeff

  5. #45
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by chorleyjeff View Post
    I have noted the cautionary comments about sing blix and the possibility of incomplete processing of colour negative film. Do the same comments apply to XP2 film?
    Cheers
    Jeff
    Only if there is a lot of retained silver. Then you would see it as a change in grain and sharpness. There is no color to affect.

    Contrast might be higher depending on the amount of retained silver.

    PE

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chorley, Lancashire, England
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Only if there is a lot of retained silver. Then you would see it as a change in grain and sharpness. There is no color to affect.

    Contrast might be higher depending on the amount of retained silver.

    PE
    Thanks for reply.
    I don't think it is worth the risk of compromising grain and contrast so will not go down that route.
    Cheers
    Jeff

  7. #47
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,972
    Images
    65
    The XP2 films should be easier to blix than the comparable color films just for reason of thickness. The XP2 films are thinner, being single color.

    PE

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Can you define "starter" and "replenisher" in the context of developer? Is there a developer that is ready to use once it is mixed to the proper dilution?
    I am not sure if your questions are answered. Here are my 2 cents.

    Yes, Kodak sells C-41 developer (comes in 3 part called Part A, B and C) that is ready to use when mixed. If a developer is not called a replenisher it is one that after mixing part A, B, C and water it will be ready to use. If it is called a replenisher then you will need to mix the part A, B, C and water still as well as mixing some starter.

    Why are the two different developers? The replenisher version is for labs to replenishing their running processor that is constantly consuming the key ingredients in the developer. A developer replenisher has the right ingredients to restore the developer back to what a C-41 developer needs to contain.

    So a developer replenisher is not the same as a developer. Most mini labs only buy developer replenisher rather than developer. They constantly replenish their working processor as long as the processor is processing films. They will need fresh developer only when they dump the developer and start with a full tank of fresh developer.

    They can produce a fresh tank of developer by adding starter to the replenisher they have. So can we. In fact the replenisher is more available than developer from wholesale suppliers.

    There are different versions of developer replenishers. There is at least the standard developer replenisher and developer replenisher LORR. The difference between them is that it takes much less quantity (about half) of developer replenisher LORR to replenish. So this is the more preferred version of the replenisher. This is also called C-41B developer replenisher I believe. This is what I use. I bought mine from a mini lab supplier.

    Bleach and Fix all come in replenisher package I believe. They are used for replenishing working processors too. But you don't need a starter to make working bleach or working fix. As PE said they can be used without a starter.

  9. #49
    stradibarrius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Monroe, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,382
    Images
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    More info: Here's a supplier that carries Sm Tank Developer, although in multi-unit batch, with hazardous fee:
    http://www.southpointphoto.com/produ...ct=905#details

    Here it is from a place in Rochester:
    http://www.pdisupply.com/ProductDeta...TOKEN=78870105

    Another:

    http://www.pfsny.com/M/Kodak/Kodak-C...hemistry_.html

    Another at $61.02 in TEXAS! like me:
    http://www.dillostore.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=121756337

    HOWEVER, they say the shipping from Houston to Austin (where I am) is $90.00 minimum cause it has to go on a truck. BUT a local photo lab buys from them and he said the lab might tack my order onto theirs for a minimal fee. Looks like I'll try that to avoid shipping. This stuff is in a new box labelled POISON so they won't air ship it.
    Do all of the suppliers you have listed charge a Hazardous shipping fee?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    website: http://www.dudleyviolins.com
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

  10. #50
    stradibarrius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Monroe, GA
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,382
    Images
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    I am not sure if your questions are answered. Here are my 2 cents.

    Yes, Kodak sells C-41 developer (comes in 3 part called Part A, B and C) that is ready to use when mixed. If a developer is not called a replenisher it is one that after mixing part A, B, C and water it will be ready to use. If it is called a replenisher then you will need to mix the part A, B, C and water still as well as mixing some starter.

    Why are the two different developers? The replenisher version is for labs to replenishing their running processor that is constantly consuming the key ingredients in the developer. A developer replenisher has the right ingredients to restore the developer back to what a C-41 developer needs to contain.

    So a developer replenisher is not the same as a developer. Most mini labs only buy developer replenisher rather than developer. They constantly replenish their working processor as long as the processor is processing films. They will need fresh developer only when they dump the developer and start with a full tank of fresh developer.

    They can produce a fresh tank of developer by adding starter to the replenisher they have. So can we. In fact the replenisher is more available than developer from wholesale suppliers.

    There are different versions of developer replenishers. There is at least the standard developer replenisher and developer replenisher LORR. The difference between them is that it takes much less quantity (about half) of developer replenisher LORR to replenish. So this is the more preferred version of the replenisher. This is also called C-41B developer replenisher I believe. This is what I use. I bought mine from a mini lab supplier.

    Bleach and Fix all come in replenisher package I believe. They are used for replenishing working processors too. But you don't need a starter to make working bleach or working fix. As PE said they can be used without a starter.
    good answer...
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    website: http://www.dudleyviolins.com
    Barry
    Monroe, GA



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin