Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,469   Online: 1091

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    This is excellent information Steve, both the Photographer's Formulary stuff and the Denver Photo contact. Thanks so much.

My first batch (this week) included a roll that was STARTED in June but took a long time for me to finish (maybe finished shooting in September, hard to remember now when I took it out). Can't speak to the differences between that and the ones I shot this weekend though, as I also can't say my first round of developing was 100% successful. Definitely a lot of color casts to deal with, and too much grain on a couple rolls. Not the same quality as the $2.50 drugstore negs at all, and in the bad sense...including more dust & smudges to spot out .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Steve, thanks for the info on Denver photo and the formulary. I have emailed Sherry.

ALL, especially PE : Is there any issue with the Trebla bleach and fixer? Is it formulated the same as Kodak or is it nothing to worry about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AFAIK, the Trebla chemistry is the same as Kodak chemistry. Trebla is part of a company started by ex Kodak Engineers.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have had excellent results with Trebla chemistry. It is also less expensive then Kodaks chemistry. However, the difference in price between Trebla and Kodak developer was not that significant so I decided to stay with Kodaks developer because the developer is critical to getting good results, and I have a lot of faith in Kodak chemistry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naugastyle View Post
    This is excellent information Steve, both the
    My first batch (this week) included a roll that was STARTED in June but took a long time for me to finish (maybe finished shooting in September, hard to remember now when I took it out). Can't speak to the differences between that and the ones I shot this weekend though, as I also can't say my first round of developing was 100% successful. Definitely a lot of color casts to deal with, and too much grain on a couple rolls. Not the same quality as the $2.50 drugstore negs at all, and in the bad sense...including more dust & smudges to spot out .
    I shoot large format and have been processing all of my color C41 film for years. I first started with a JOBO cpp2 and then graduated to a JOBO ATL machine. I believe my results are significantly better then the stuff I get from any professional labs. Both the uniformity in development and repeatability is excellent with the JOBO machines.

If you are not using a JOBO I would highly recommend getting a cpp2 if you can afford it. Of course, if you can afford an JOBO ATL then that would be even better and easier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I need some bleach but I don't want to buy a big $100.00+ size. Can Kodak bleach be used with Trebela developer and fix?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Read my last post, #63.

PE

Shooter
    127 Format

Processing C41

I would like to start processing colour as well, but cannot find a process description or a list of chemicals. I am not new to the darkroom, so all I need is the process, and a list of the recommended chemicals.

And the quote about generalisation is clearly the weird mental machinations of an idiot! and I'm generalising of course, so no one need take it personally.

John Sampson

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I have read through countless threads about home C-41 process. I have read Kodak tech bulletins and then tried to find the chemicals as listed from the Kodak publication, only to find they are currently unavailable?

Is it possible for some who is experienced to post a "C-41 for Dummies" thread????

I process my own B&W and have been to Gary B's house and watched him process C-41. The process itself is not so much the question as is wading through the chemistry.
    I know there is a developer, bleach and fixer but Kodak has so many different versions of each.

I know Tetnal has a "press kit" Developer, blix, stabilizer that looks more attractive all the time.

I would prefer to separate the bleach and fix. From what I have read, you will get better results.

So to summarize, to Process C-41 color negative film at home in a small hand held tank what chemicals do I need? Are they currently available in the US?

If I can ask, please be specific about the chemicals needed.
    Developer???? developer/replenisher???? both????
    Which bleach?
    Which fixer?

I am sorry for being such a "dummy"...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John;

The C-41 process cycle has been posted here and is available on the Kodak web site here:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/busin...?pq-path=12550

The process manuals show how to do it in small tanks such as the Jobo and in deep tanks either automated or not. The information is in the PDF files on the Kodak web site.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I need some bleach but I don't want to buy a big $100.00+ size. Can Kodak bleach be used with Trebela developer and fix?
    In general, Trebela is less expensive than Kodak especially the bleach and fix. The difference in price is not that much for the developers. What follows is a source for chemicals:

Denver Pro Photo
    235 S Cherokee St.
    Denver CO 80223
    Phone: 303-698-1790 or 866-360-4940
    Fax: 303-698-1720

Ask for Victor Guarino. He will take care of you. They will ship the stuff anywhere.

Here is the C41 chemistry I purchase from Denver Pro Photo with volumes and prices:
    Kodak Flexicolor SM Develper 2L $15.92
    Kodak Indicator Stop 16 oz. $7.25
    Trebla Beach 5L $31.16
    Trebla Fixer 5L $4.75
    Kodak Final Rinse 5L $6.25

The Kodak Flexicolor SM Developer is a one shot developer which is good for tray or drum processing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin