Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,692   Online: 858

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

best way to extend color chemicals...gas..marbles...or?

hi,

in trying to reach a consensus for preserving color chemicals (e6/c41), i have read here and other sites saying to do any of the following:

1. insert inert gas like argon/nitrogen to remove oxygen from container.
    2. drop in marbles until liquid reaches the top of container.
    3. use accordian-style plastic containers to remove extra oxygen.
    4. use wine box containers and use the bag that houses the wine.
    5. any of the above or just put them in the freezer and thaw them out when needed.

now i know the point in doing all of these is to prevent the chemicals from oxidizing but i was curious to know if those who have tried any of these report better success by using one method over another? and if so, how long has your shelf life been for the chemicals?

thanks for any insight!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that #2, using marbles can make for very heavy and hard to hold bottles. Do not try this with 1 gallon bottles.

Freezing is just a bad idea. PE posted within the last week that some chemicals are damaged when stored below 50ºF. Are you going to check out the minimum temperature for every mixed chemical you have? Is it worth the risk?

Now you are down to three more realistic approaches.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would like to post a slight variation of method #1: instead of inert gas, use some propane/butane mixture. This mixture is heavier than air (unlike nitrogen) and more available than argon gas. You get this mixture as lighter gas or specifically made for the purpose (e.g. Tetenal Protectan).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use plastic beverage bottles, made of thin and durable PET plastic. You can squeeze virtually all air out very easily & quickly! These are very cheap (especially if you use these kind of drinks :-)) and durable. I don't know about other countries though, but in Finland there's easily available 0.33, 0.5, 0.95, 1.5 and 2 liter sizes. They can be squeezed so well that every amount from 0.2 to 2 liter can be stored using these sizes easily. Much better than playing with marbles.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Buy one litre kit, use big tank.

Dev in one batch mix slow and fast film to stretch the dev to the limit...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I started souping colour, I bought a case of 250ml glass bottles with caps. I repackage the chems into these smaller bottles with no airspace. The chems keep for up to a year (so far). Once a small bottle is opened, it will oxidize the same as any partially used bottle.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pre-boiling the mix water to drive off dissolved oxygen before diluting the concentrates I find also helps to extend colur chem stock solutions life.

I'm big on #1 - either nitrogen (I bought a tank) or before that - cans of 'private preserve' found at better wine stores.

I have added marbles to the tanks on my wing lynch machine for e-6 to allow me to get the solution up an around the heaters with only 1L mixed and added to the tanks. It was made to keep up to 5L of e-6 all chems mixed and warm, but I do not go through nearly that much volume in my home application before the ready to use solution chemistry poops out on my due to old age.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Missing from the list is decanting into smaller bottles, like the "250ml glass bottles" already mentioned. This is my plan for all developers of any type.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Fill the bottles completely. Using developer-replenisher systems allows you to top off the bottle to ensure minimal air. I've achieved lives of many months with C41 chemistry in plastic bottles fully filled.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, full bottles, start collecting. Stoppered glass is best. I have a load of 250ml beer bottles. Plastic tonic or mixer bottles etc down to 175ml and can be squeezed even further. Argon welding gas for shielding any half filled bottles. I think marbles are a no no; lots of trapped air and they always fall out when you try and decant and you can't suck up with pipettes etc because the blasted marbles are in the way.
    I couldn't get butane mixes to work although I am not saying they will not. A small argon cylinder and regulator costs £30 here in UK and will last a long time. Bottles are only half this and regulator you can re-use for ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin