Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,132   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of what the results are when tunten balanced film is shot at either twilight or dawn?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes. I haven't used "Tungsten" for a long time, now ... but unfiltered you will get a *very* blue "cast". "Tungsten" is balanced to make colors appear normal under (compromised) "ordinary" room lighting (~~ "Type ~`B') or for 3400K Floodlights - Type `A' (Hot Lights - ah! - memories..).

The proper filter to use with tungsten film in daylight or with electronic flash (this will be an exercise for my memory!!) is - I think ... 85 or 85B...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    I have heard of people shooting tungsen film outdoors with an 85 filter because it tends to be formulated to be more contrasty than Daylight films and they like that effect.
    Never compared it myself so take this purely as hearsay.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lew
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of what the results are when tunten balanced film is shot at either twilight or dawn?
    If you have a color temperature meter you can estimate how close the color balance will be. The closer to the tungsten color temp the light gets the more neutral the colors on the tungsten film become. It can be a bit tricky to get things just right with no knowledge of what color the light really is.
    That said why would you want to make the warm tones of those times of the day go away? It would make the red toned sunset shot turn into a rather ordinary picture.

I am planning on taking some pictures at dusk, after the sun goes down, with tungsten balanced film to try to achieve a "blue" look. A downtown cityscape also be in the photo. I am hoping the tungsten film will really make the sky go eerily blue. Any thoughts on if this will work, or what the effect might be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you are on the right track then. Post some pictures when you get them done.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    because it tends to be formulated to be more contrasty than Daylight films and they like that effect.
    Just the opposite is true. Tungsten film is less contrasty than daylight film. It's much better in contrasty lighting situations. The only color film I like any more is EPY, aka Ektachrome 64T. It has beautiful color balance and a smooth, gentle scale as long as Tri-X. It also responds well to zone system controls. You have to filter it with an 85B outside. Try it. You'll like it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I found that you need to shoot a little earlier at sunset and later at sunrise than you normally would for really saturated film.

Also this film is great for mixing with strobe in the daylight. I've shot a lot of portraits by filtering the strobes to tungsten balance then let the ambient turn blue. It's a great way to color wash a background that otherwise would be uninteresting.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    because it tends to be formulated to be more contrasty than Daylight films and they like that effect.
    Just the opposite is true. Tungsten film is less contrasty than daylight film.
    I knew that it was one or the other :oops:. I thought that daylight would be made less contrasty because it is a single light source world outdoors.

John, listen to c6h6o3. He actually has experience using it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The great advertising shooter Pete Turner was/is famous for using this film in the late evening. Very nice color.

lee\c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin