Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,617   Online: 787

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Expire Date From Cartridge?

Here's a somewhat naive question: Is there any way to determing the expiration date of film just from looking at the cartridge? I have a roll of Kodacolor Gold 100 35mm film from a toy camera I picked up in a thrift store. The camera can be ten or twenty years old or more. The film doesn't look that old, but I'm still curious. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't believe so. Shoot it and/or develop it and you can probably determine the approximate age.

Shooter
    35mm
    you can get a general idea depending on the canister.... here for example http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/Me...135-36BULK.jpg notice above "36 exp" there is an 8? That's the film's generation number. Then you can poke around on the internet.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. Mine has a 2 there.

Also on the cartridge: GA 24 100/21"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Thanks. Mine has a 2 there.

Also on the cartridge: GA 24 100/21"
    very old. It's currently generation either 7 or 8....my guess, early 90's.

from here http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00ChKt

"Scott Pickering "25 ASA" , Jun 30, 2005; 12:59 a.m.

More checking. Gold 100-2 came out in '88, while version 6 came out in '98."
    Last edited by bob100684; 10-04-2009 at 07:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've developed some Third Generation Kodak Gold and it came out fine, it's well worth some experimenting.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool. Thanks for the response. And Bob, thanks for the legwork. I ended up shooting the rest of the roll -- I think. It seems the film was wound into the camera incorrectly (or the winding mechanism is broken -- or both) and the film advance kept forwarding and locking with no resistance when the end of the roll was reached. The counter was useless. I'll get it developed this week and try to report back...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin