Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,986   Online: 1122

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ultrafine RA-4 Color Paper :Opinions or recommendations?

Hey all,

I was just parusing through my most recent Ultrafine catalog, and I noticed that they had their own Ultrafine RA-4 color paper.

Have any of you used this product before? I'm interested mostly because its quite cheap (8x10x100sht is $23.99+shipping).

Is this just re-branded fuji or kodak paper, or is mitsubishi or konica making papers for them?

I'm on a serious budget right now because of school, but due to being in a color darkroom course, I need paper....and this fits my budget.

thanks

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    no one has any experience with this paper? wow, i'm impressed, or is it bad?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All I know is the 11x14 paper I wanted was not available. and has not been for a year and a half continuously...hmmm.

Having tried both fuji and kodak paper in my room temp setup I have determined through highly scientific testing that fuji paper gives me magenta crossover crap and kodak supra endura gives me shiny colorful pictures. I don't feel like saving 25-50% on my paper if 100% of my images will be utter crap. just my two cents. I personally opted for the $18 box of 8x10 (50 sheets) Kodak Supra Endura and was quite contented with my shiny images. Then I dropped $83 for bigger 16x20 shiny paper. It depends if you really care about your image quality or if you just want to test it out.

I also believe it's one of the two because as far as I know there are only two companies coating RA4 paper. I think you should try it and tell me what you think. Are you doing room temperature in trays or heated somehow?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    All I know is the 11x14 paper I wanted was not available. and has not been for a year and a half continuously...hmmm.

Having tried both fuji and kodak paper in my room temp setup I have determined through highly scientific testing that fuji paper gives me magenta crossover crap and kodak supra endura gives me shiny colorful pictures. I don't feel like saving 25-50% on my paper if 100% of my images will be utter crap. just my two cents. I personally opted for the $18 box of 8x10 (50 sheets) Kodak Supra Endura and was quite contented with my shiny images. Then I dropped $83 for bigger 16x20 shiny paper. It depends if you really care about your image quality or if you just want to test it out.

I also believe it's one of the two because as far as I know there are only two companies coating RA4 paper. I think you should try it and tell me what you think. Are you doing room temperature in trays or heated somehow?
    I'm using a Kreonite at school. Thank God . Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with trays and color chemistry. Usually I give in to the hybrid method with my color work. B/W I still prefer to use the darkroom.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bump. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this, and or used it. I was looking through my Ultrafine catalog this evening over dinner (yes, fun night with me )

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At this point, Buy and try. It's cheap enough to try.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some time ago, I used (and "wrung out" - thoroughly) Ultrafine RA-4 paper. I don't know if what they are seeling today is the same - rebranded "someone else's), but at the time, it was easily the equal to Ilford, Kodak, and Agfa papers.

Based on my experience, I would NOT hesitiate to recommend it, with the usual, and necessary, caveats.
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 10-26-2009 at 06:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Miserable, tiny typo.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks ed! I'll be placing an order shortly, and I'll let everyone know of my findings!

is mitsubishi or Konica still coating paper? I thought that they still did it for a limited market abroad?

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin