Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,505   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

water/stabilizer spots?

so I just developed C-41 film for the first time with the Tetenal C-41 Press Kit.

The negatives look great as far as density goes. One problem however is that I have TONS of little circles all over the base side of the film.

I've never had anything of this magnitude happen with black and white. Is there a way to get rid of the spots? rewash and restabilize?

They are 4x5 negatives 160s processed in the Combiplan tank. I'll try to take a photo of the spots tomorrow when there's daylight. In the meantime, here's a photo on the light table.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    any help?

would rewashing be harmful? helpful? futile?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    do the spots look like hard water spots, or mineral deposits due to insufficient stabilization? How long did you stabilize? Also, did you constantly agitate the tank during the stabilization step, I've found that if i agitate for the 1st 30 seconds, then let it sit still for another minute, usually no water spots to be found, even with sheet film.

can you post a shot of the film (just one sheet) without being backlit, so we can see the spots without having to try to guess where they are? thanks. its just that its kind of hard to distinguish where they are

-Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    yeah

I just followed the instructions on the insert and agitated for 15s and let sit for another 15s. From what you've just said this must be way too short.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Also, I never wiped off the water before I hung it up to dry. I don't usually do this with B&W but it will probably help here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    do you have hard water in your area?

yes, kodak recommends 1:30 for stabilization, 30s initial agitation, and sitting still for the remaining minute.

try a(1) sheet, re-wash, and re-stabilize, with this timing. just one sheet (make sure its the one you don't like the most)

here's the link to the Kodak C-41 processing pdf. read it thoroughly, there's lots of good info in there!

http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...ls/z131_03.pdf

best of luck, please let us know of how that test sheet comes out.

Ohh... btw, I DO NOT SQUEEGEE! I just gently nudge the bubbles off of the film before hanging it up to dry. I personally(my way, try it if you want) let the film drip for a bit before putting the heater on(in a film dryer). I've found that I get better results, and cleaner too, this way. You might want to try just letting it dry in ambient temperatures. Shouldn't take too long, maybe 1-3 hours. Enough time for some tv or a movie , yardwork in my case(for b/w)

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found that these mineral stains (drying marks) in the base side can be carefully rubbed away with a dry microfiber cloth after the film has completely dried. Of course there's a risk to scratch the film so be careful and use a clean microfiber cloth. The drying marks should be avoided in the first place (eg. by making the stabilizer in distilled/demineralized water), but I still get them every now and then.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can try rubbing them away but so far for me that has caused a 100% scratch probability. FYI The stabilizer in the tetenal press kit DOES NOT CONTAIN A SURFACTANT LIKE PHOTO FLO. You must add this to reduce drying marks. I also would recommend using distilled water to mix your stabilizer. The formula would be the stabilizer powder plus whatever you use for normal photo flo in distilled water. If you can find some Kodak Final Rinse I would use that instead, diluting 9ml of concentrate to 1 liter distilled water. The final liquid to touch the film must be a color film stabilizer of some sort. Don't just use photo flo.

Rewashing and stabilizing will be most effective but without adding photo flo to the stabilizer you'll just get more marks.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're using the regular Tetenal liquid kit, does it help (or hurt) to also give it a dunk in photo-flo after stabilizing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't dunk in photo flo, as per instructed to me by Photo Engineer.

being that there is none (maybe a super small amount) of silver metal left in the emulsion, the bleach "bleaches" out the excess silver during that step, all that is left is dyes that are great food for fungi and bugs. so if you undue the stabilizer step, you are basically removing your film's barrier to the elements/nasties.

get this stuff on ebay to be frank. use it in place of the Tetenal kits' stablizer. the name is different, its just that the Final Rinse is optimized for films(at least Kodak C-41 films) made after 2005. the dyes changed, and the new ones are best used with the Final Rinse vs Stabilizer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Flexicolor...item53de274ce0
    -Dan

EDIT: this one as well, Buy it Now

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Flexicolor...item3a548976cb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin