Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,321   Online: 977

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fuji RTP II 64T or Provia 400X with blue filter?

I was wondering whether it's better to shoot slides indoor with tungsten balanced film or to use a more sensitive film with a color correction filter. The following issues have been posted in various forums:
    • 64T film has finer grain than 400X.
    • With a filter I can balance for anything (fluorescent, daylight, ...) without swapping film backs.
    • The new 64T film has been lambasted as having an awful green-yellow cast.

So what would the pros/experts/more experienced users here recommend for indoor shooting?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    64T delivers exceptionally accurate colours... but only if your colour temp is bang on and consistent. In other words, you need to use a very dominant tungsten source with it (I use it with tungsten softboxes for indoor macro). If you don't use tungsten then sure, you can filter, but... you'll need to colour meter and make fine adjustments, and it's probably not worth the bother if your lighting is mixed.

400x will be more tolerant of mixed light, but only somewhat. Among the slide films, astia 100F would be the best bet for accurate colours in mixed light, though my feeling (based on using both e6 and c41 films quite a lot) is that none of these slide films will be able to do what the print films can do in terms of maintaining accurate colours under mixed light. Indoor light tends to be a mix of fluorescent and incandescent, so I would go with print film... unless you are willing to introduce your own dominant light(s) e.g. flash etc.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin