Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,725   Online: 745

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also check out http://ctein.com/ - go to the Welcome tab and the that will take to you to information about the dye transfer process and his library of dye transfer prints.
    Gord

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith,

What kind of exposure are you thinking of? Seqential or Parallel?

Thought of the historic Miethe camera? You could do something similar by synchronizing an ordinary motordrive with some custom filter wheel.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Keith;

There are several methods of alignment. Kodak even made a register punch for this type of work. I have used a 3 hole paper punch to punch negatives and align them.

PE
    I'm aware of the Kodak punch for large negatives, but what about 35mm negatives in an Omega 4x5 enlarger? Is there a punch out there that matches the metal pins on a negative carrier from one these machines?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

If you are determined to take sequential separation negatives, registration becomes a real pain, but there is a way. You can get creative and cut the 3 negatives out, then register them with a rivet so that they swivel or rotate around the rivet. Then, by using a cardboard carrier, you can print them. But, they still may be out of alignment due to some of the movement.

All I can suggest is experiment.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another way of registering your negatives is to mount the original in a larger piece of film of the same thickness. This will then allow you to use a larger punch and registration pins for the project. You will no doubt want to mount some form of a step wedge into the process to allow you to control exposure and processing of the separations. By mounting your original into a larger piece of film you can also add a small step wedge along side of the original. If you use just the 35mm original you could have the step wedge showing through the sprocket holes of the transparency.
    Gord

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may be way off with this and I don't mean to hijack this thread but would it be possible to print color from black and white buy using color paper and placing a couple of different filters in front of the film (cyan yellow etc.) and making a couple of exposures on the paper?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I may be way off with this and I don't mean to hijack this thread but would it be possible to print color from black and white buy using color paper and placing a couple of different filters in front of the film (cyan yellow etc.) and making a couple of exposures on the paper?
    That's what we are talking about doing. But you will need three black & white negatives. Each negative will need to be exposed through a different filter: one through red, one through green, and one through blue. Then each negative will need to be printed onto one sheet of RA4 paper in sequence, and it will need to be exposed through the same filter it was exposed through on the camera. My questions are regarding how to get the three negatives to line up to keep the image in sharp registration since each one will need to be placed in the enlarger one at a time.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Ron, I have one more question. Assuming I get my registration issue solved and try an additive print, will I a color issue from not having the orange mask associated with color negative film? Will I need some sort of filtration for this? I will be using a color enlarger, but with gel filters for the additive exposures.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Keith,

What kind of exposure are you thinking of? Seqential or Parallel?

Thought of the historic Miethe camera? You could do something similar by synchronizing an ordinary motordrive with some custom filter wheel.
    AgX, I was thinking of sequential. Parallel will require some engineering! And it'd be especially hard considering the close-focus subjects I have in mind.

I am not sure whether I will be doing this in the near term, I am just wondering what the modern (but still analogue) options are and how close they are to the historical processes.

~~~

Greg I was guessing one could just use a filter or a piece of c41-processed but unexposed print film to get the mask if necessary; maybe I am wrong. Thanks for raising the issue for discussion....

Thanks everyone for the continued flow of ideas and experience(s). I appreciate it!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Keith, since I will be using a color enlarger, I could color balance the lack of orange mask, but I like your idea of blank color negative base. I think I will end up contacting 4x5 negatives, so a blank piece of color film in the negative stage would work if I find it necessary. I suppose the same general process would work for Ilfochrome if the separations were developed as positives?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin