Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,232   Online: 1069

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Which makes me wonder whether r,g and b sep negatives really are the optimal three.
    I wrote this essay by arguing from aesthetic principles:

http://struangray.com/twiglog/2008/12/05/trichromie/

But further digging has revealed that the orange-violet-green triplet was used by early tricolor methods. The US patent for Autochrome (here) suggests using this triplet, and I've seen it crop up as a standard filter set elsewhere too. I'm not sure if the triplet was dictated by the availability of suitably pure filters with low absorbtion in the passband, or if it was motivated by existing ideas of which colours were complementary to which on the prevailing colour wheel. Regarding CYM as the natural complement to RGB is a relatively recent phenomenon.

If you look at the CIE diagram and regard it as a coordinate space it is obvious two primaries can only mix to produce the colours on the line joining them in the CIE diagram - if you have three you can access the triangle between them. In principle, any three will do, but 'bad' choices will limit your gamut, and some colours have higher filter factors than others, which has practical implications.

These days a tunable laser or supercontinuum source will allow you to access the entire saturated edge of the CIE plot, and in theory at least produce any colour you like in a projected image. Land's retinex experiments got very close by adding the complementary colour to the primaries, effectively allowing negative values (just as cyan is negative magenta+yellow in RA4 printing). With prints though, you are limited to triangular gamuts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fascinating. Thanks Struan!

One of the nutty things I am thinking about is creating a filter material with r,g,b sequence that could be overlaid on roll film, and you'd just feed it through a camera as usual, fire three shots...
    Last edited by keithwms; 10-07-2009 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I am more interested in shooting panchromatic b&w film and building a colour image from that, in totally analogue fashion. Who does it?

Thanks in advance.
    http://www.cydecosse.com/table_of_contents.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin