Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,166   Online: 1198

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Colour sep: who does it?

I have been thinking about colour separation photography for various reasons, and I'd first like to find out who does what today.

I am aware of the historical developments from J.C. Maxwell on, but I am mostly interested in who is doing analogue colour sep today.

If you have any links to current artists using colour sep .... from capture through the print... I am all ears! (or eyes...) I am somewhat less interested in colour capture followed by separating the image into colour components- I am more interested in shooting panchromatic b&w film and building a colour image from that, in totally analogue fashion. Who does it?

Thanks in advance.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I have been thinking about colour separation photography for various reasons, and I'd first like to find out who does what today.

I am aware of the historical developments from J.C. Maxwell on, but I am mostly interested in who is doing analogue colour sep today.

If you have any links to current artists using colour sep .... from capture through the print... I am all ears! (or eyes...) I am somewhat less interested in colour capture followed by separating the image into colour components- I am more interested in shooting panchromatic b&w film and building a colour image from that, in totally analogue fashion. Who does it?

Thanks in advance.
    There is long running thread on the subject at the LF forum. See http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=48583

Unfortunately most of the work that is being done in this area today takes advantage of digital methods of correcting and balancing the color separation sets. It is possible that a few of the persons working with dye transfer may be using purely analog methods. There is a discussion group on this run by Jim Browning on Yahoo. http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/d...guid=111435302

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 10-05-2009 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm curious as well. I am teaching an experimental photo class this term and was thinking about trying something similar. We won't be able to do dye transfer for print output, so I am considering just developing the film as slides and projecting them using old slide projectors and aligning them. I suppose we could try to do a tri-color additive print onto RA-4 paper, but image alignment would be very difficult while switching out negatives in the enlarger.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim Browning is doing it with an old color separation camera as are quite a few in the Dye Transfer SIG on Yahoo. You may want to go to Jim's web site or the SIG to talk to people with this special interest.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try making up solutions that act as color developers, and then reversal process the separations and sandwich them together. This makes a pseudo Kodachrome slide. It can be done easily once you have the 3 color developers. There is a kit out there for doing this.

PE

Shooter
    35mm

Trichrome

I've made trichromes! Admittedly, I made them by scanning the three negatives and using GIMP to colour them, but the results were pretty interesting. There's a group on Flickr called "Trichromie" too.
    If you're interested, I've got one online here.
    I've got another roll of them at home undeveloped, so far. I used HP5+ and developed, IIRC, in D76.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do it, but I'm afraid I scan-I'm sure I posted this before, but in case you've not seen it:
    how to make trichromes
    and

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Sandy, I didn't think to check lfpi.

Ron, that is an interesting thought.

Regarding alignment, I am thinking of placing corner crosshairs in the original image and doing the alignment at the enlarger.

Thanks for the other comments as well. Again, I am especially interested in the purely analogue process.... but Mark I do remember that result, nicely done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith;

There are several methods of alignment. Kodak even made a register punch for this type of work. I have used a 3 hole paper punch to punch negatives and align them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds good Ron. I was thinking of using epoxy at the edges....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin