Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 998

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why did you double ziploc the canisters before freezing? Did you wish to keep the humidity inside these bags? Ziploc in the freezer is to keep the humidity within the food, which is exactly the opposite you want with the film. I use simple plastic bags, even perforated, in order to allow the freezer to dry the air inside. Would I have paper bags, I would use them instead. Moreover, with paper bags you can go so much anal you want…
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have repeatedly taken films out of a freezer and replaced them without any detrimental effects. A few seconds to take out a roll or two won't do anything.

Shooter
    35mm
    None of my films are in Ziploc bags. I just stick them in the freezer/fridge in their cardboard boxes or plastic canisters, and have so far have had nothing bad happen (as far as I can tell).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Ziploc bags, but mainly to keep the film organized, and to guard against damage from moisture in the event of leaks or power failures.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Everybody obsesses over condensation forming on film if you don't let it defrost properly. But HOW is condensation going to form inside the canister? It's not like more humid ambient air is just going to go through all the small openings into the film canister for the heck of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not a big deal,I just leave them at room temperature for about three hours, or if I'm in a hurry, I stick them in my trousers pocket for about an hour or so, and try not to get "frozen assets"
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-07-2009 at 04:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the film is in its plastic canister, you've nothing to worry about. The box is going in the (recycle) dustbin anyway. Kodachrome here UK) is process paid, so I take the envelopes out of the boxes, discard the boxes except for the box end flaps, and put the film canisters in pairs in food bags, tied in a knot, then the canister bags go in sealed plastic tubs. When I need film, it's usually in pairs, so I open the plastic box, take out a pair, or if it's just one I need, put the other canister back in a bag and into the box.

These plastic canisters are pretty airtight, and I've never had a problem in decades of storing film like this.
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been known to hold a roll of 120 film (still in the foil package) under my arm pit for a little bit to get it warmed up. The tightly wound roll with no air space warms up very quickly.

Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhall View Post
    I have been known to hold a roll of 120 film (still in the foil package) under my arm pit for a little bit to get it warmed up. The tightly wound roll with no air space warms up very quickly.

Jason
    Gawd, that's the pits!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I wouldn't deforst film anally... seems sort of extreme to me but to each his own. And big sheet film boxes... OUCH!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin