Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,348   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How to process Dixons Colorprint 2?

Whilst back in the UK recently, I came across two old rolls of exposed 35mm colour print film. One was clearly marked C41. The other has no processing information. The only thing on it is "Dixons Colorprint 2". The address for processing is Dixons Colour Labs in Hertfordshire, England, which is apparently the same outfit as Truprint.
    Does anyone know how I would get this processed?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Although it may not be marked as so, I'd guess that the Colorprint film is also processed in C41?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take them into Dixons and ask, they are a camera store after all

On the other hand I think they forgot what film is Just take them into any local minilab they'll process them.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Mike - It is certainly possible. But I recall that some of the films that you would get for "free" actually required special processing. Seattle Film Works was one of these in the US. I don't recall whether Truprint or Dixons was in that category in the UK.
    Last edited by dsayed; 10-06-2009 at 01:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: update

Shooter
    35mm
    Ian - I took it to my local lab who wouldn't touch it without knowing what it was, claiming it would ruin their machine. I'll try a different one that claims to be a camera store as opposed to a drugstore.
    Going into Dixons isn't an option as I no longer live in the UK and as you point out, they seem to have forgotten what film is, which is strangely ironic given their beginnings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dixons didn't ever sell repacked movie film, so it's standard processing, it would be own brand most likely 3M/Ferannia it may say made in Italy, otherwise Agfa.

I think Dixons Color Print 2 was C41 as well.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Could it not take a European pre-C-41 process?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unlikely, but possible, Dixons had a long standing contract with 3M for film going back to the 60's.

There's something about the "Colourprint 2" part, I think Boots sold their first C41 film (also 3M) with that part in the name as well. If I was in the UK I'd look in an old Amateur Photographer and see what films Dixon's were listing.

Labs used to have a chart telling them what films were C22 or C41, or other because not all own brands put the process on the films.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What color is the base side? ECN-2 emulsions have the Remjet coating which is very very black as opposed to the browner antihalation layers on the normal C41 film. The test is to put a tiny bit of the leader into developer. If you can wipe of black sludge from the film after 15 seconds it is ECN-2 movie film and not normal negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    What color is the base side? ECN-2 emulsions have the Remjet coating which is very very black as opposed to the browner antihalation layers on the normal C41 film. The test is to put a tiny bit of the leader into developer. If you can wipe of black sludge from the film after 15 seconds it is ECN-2 movie film and not normal negative film.
    Dixon's films were never ECN-2. The only company selling/using movie film was TriFCA in the UK. Dixon's own brand films were 3M.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin