Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,475   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

E6, what went wrong here

So, my first run ever of E6, using Tetenal 3-bath. Jobo 2000 inversion tank, handrotated in water bath.

Innermost sheet from the reel attached. Neverming the light leak, it's OK in the sense of I can understand it, accidential darkslide pull or something. But what would be the cause for that yellowish color shift? Adjacent sheet shows the same, in much smaller extent. All the other 4 sheets are absolutely fine.

edit: Added second sheet as well. Highlights are blown by digitizing. Those triangles are notches (or whatever the correct term) present on reels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e100g-Scan-091007-0010a.jpg   e100g-Scan-091007-0009a.jpg  
    Last edited by werra; 10-06-2009 at 07:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also the result of a light leak, i'd say.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, it looks like a light leak from the side. I had a similarly coloured fog from the corner one of my favourite slides once... the holder was the culprit.

All in all, good job on your first run! Certainly looks a lot better than my first E6 run!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Putting the error aside great work for your first time. This E100G has great color.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    underdevelopment in the color developer might cause a similar effect. Looks like a light leak though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i do my own e6 all the time, and yes thats a light leak, i have seen color like that on mine, ive also seen a purplish color too. i use the kodak 6 step kit, usually does pretty well. make sure your chems are fresh
    "Why thats one of those old black and white cameras aint it?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like two issues to me, light leak as you noted on the end and chemistry along the edge, possibly agitation issue or inadequate emulsion chemical coverage.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wanted to think about possible processing errors (having made many mistakes myself). But one scan shows the effect on its short side, while the other scan shows the effect on the long side. This indicates, that the problem originates in the camera, not in the developer tank. Others have already suggested a light leak in your camera, unfortunately you didn't mention which camera you used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The massive white stripe along the short side is yes from pulled darkslide or something. I am not worried about it.
    But I doubt the crap along the long side is a light leak. I have done quite a number of sheets with this setup, Super Graphic with Symmar S 150/5.6 on selfmade lensboard, without anything like this.
    Both of the defects run along long line and if I recall correctly, affected side was in the bottom of the tank. And those little triangles are match to notches inside the spiral in the tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Werra, it's the tank. I use 2 Jobo 2000 tanks and I've had that happen with E6. It's very definitely not a light leak, John R is right.

There's two problems with the 2000 tanks, first the reels ride up the spirals and that may definitely have happened here, there should be a locking ring, see attached photo, that prevents this happening. If you were using the lock ring then insufficient solutions, but 1 litre per spiral has always been fine with my tanks.

You can see by the edge marks, they coincide with the little guide bits that keep the film in place in the spiral, see second attachment, that it's definitely a process problem At some point in processing the spiral has been partial out of the solutions, exactly what caused the yellowish colour it's hard to say, maybe under development, contamination because the wash steps weren't effective on that top edge.

The answer is to use the lock ring, if you don't have one use a thick rubber band, make sure you use enough of each of the solutions, and use more than a litre at each wash step.

The second problem with the Jobo 2000 spirals is sometimes the sheets touch so be careful when loading to make sure that isn't happening.

I think you're saying you roll the tank on it's side for agitation, but what's causing this problem is while the tank is upright, make sure that you use inversions at the wash steps.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clip.jpg   reel.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin