Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,948   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nova C41 powder 2 bath process

Further to the thread on Tetenal and Fuji small volume C41 chemicals has anyone any experience of using the Nova equivalent and comments to make please?
    I have a dozen or so XP2 films to develop but don't want to get a 5 litre pack because depending on results I may well move on to conventional monochrome film.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Would this help?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Kit_for.html

Maybe available where you live?

Hope this helps you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do not recommend the powder kit for color negative. The blix, based on Sodium salts, will be too slow and ineffective for proper bleaching.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I do not recommend the powder kit for color negative. The blix, based on Sodium salts, will be too slow and ineffective for proper bleaching.

PE
    This one uses an Ammonium Thiosulphate Blix, so may well be OK.

The Tetenal C41 Press Kit also uses Ammonium based salts.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-09-2009 at 10:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add Tetenal

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Would this help?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...s_Kit_for.html

Maybe available where you live?

Hope this helps you!
    Whatever I get it will be mail order.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This one uses an Ammonium Thiosulphate Blix, so may well be OK.

The Tetenal C41 Press Kit also uses Ammonium based salts.

Ian
    The Tetenal C41 Press Kit shown in the reference uses Sodium salts for both the Iron complex and for the Hypo. I have one here. That is what it says on the box.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange, the Tetenal (Jobo US) MSDS shows the Blix as:

Ingredients/Identity Information

AMMONIUM FERRIC EDTA (25-50%)
    AMMONIUM THIOSULFATE (25-50%)
    SODIUM SULFITE (5-10%)

It's a bit academic because I think Tetenal may have discontinued this kit some time ago, I may be wrong but I didn't see it on ther website last time I looked.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

My apologies. The box does say that. My problem is that my private sources tell me that you cannot make solid powder Ammonium Ferric EDTA! It only comes as a solution much like most Ammonium Thiosulfate. In fact, the key patent is by Stephen and Surash if you wish to look it up. They show how it is made but don't (IIRC) mention that it could not be prepared as a solid. This was known though at EK.

So, I assumed that this was in error. If you find that powder form Ammonium Ferric EDTA does indeed exist, please let me (and others) know.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ian;
    So, I assumed that this was in error. If you find that powder form Ammonium Ferric EDTA does indeed exist, please let me (and others) know.

PE
    Will do.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Jeff I have used it for colour film and it seemed fine. The immediate problem is that you have to make up the whole kit at once and Nova gives a very short time period within which to use it all. If you have got enough films then this shouldn't be a problem. The longer term problem may be the longevity of film developed in powder. It depends on who you listen to. In terms of neg quality my prints from the negs seemed perfectly normal( no strange castes or strange and fluctuating filtrations needed) but I haven't tried to re-do any prints from the film and I cannot compare prints from negs done in the separate bleach and fix process as I have yet to try this process.

If you like to do film in 1s, 2s or 3s,(i.e. small vols) and cannot get through enough film in Nova's recommended period then there is/was the alternative of Speedibrews C41 powder kits which are good for 4-8 films per pack. Martin Reed of Silverprint used to stock it and may still do. Powder is actually quite expensive compared to say the Fuji-Hunt kit which has separate bleach and fix steps. Cheapest seems to be from Ag Photographic at 29.99 ( Matt is a subscriber here) but does 60-80 films and maybe more.

If I were solely a C41 person using exclusively colour neg and XP2 Super then this might be the way to go. MORCO does the Kodak kits albeit in large quantities but the expensive bleach should last and the fix and dev is relatively cheap and in the case of dev which has the shortest life it might be a case of being prepared to throw some away and replace.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin