Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,758   Online: 1109

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, thank you for reminding me. I can stabilize the film with an old stabilizer. It will do the job for both new and old films. I believe my 46 mm 400VC roll is post 2003 though.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I am hording Provia 400X. Anybody know how long high speed slide film will last?
    I have it sealed in the freezer, but I assume it won't have the same shelf life as 100 speed film.

I just shot a roll of Kodak slide film that's been expired for 5 years and sitting at room temperature.
    To my surprise it was absolutely fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ericdan

your experience matches mine both for color film and for black and white

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ifference.html

about halfway through the thread you will see information posted by a appugger named "mr bill"
    he worked for a major portrait company and he and his workmates did all sorts of "destructive testing"
    on color film ( "hot box" ). it was interesting to see that color films are quite robust and they did not degrade
    as one might imagine they would.

me, personally i only shoot expired film these days, some old, some very old, and while i don't use a densitometer
    (and don't care to use one ) i haven't found much trouble in my expired emulsions. YMMV thought, because
    others in the thread posted their findings ( B/W ) from using a densitometer, and posted #'s but even after they were
    asked what the numbers meant their meanings were never revealed ... so my guess is that "there was a little fog" ...
    and too much for their taste?

as for your provia ( i have about 300+ sheets at room temperature as well ) it might suffer a little contrast loss? maybe a little speed loss
    and maybe a little color shift ... i'm processing all mine in b/w so i rate it slow ( way less than half box speed )
    and processing it in dilute print developer first and then coffee developer.

good luck

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A simple answer to the O.P's question is "not long enough".
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently shot some old Kodak PR-100 220 rolls. I was very surprised that they came out with colors as good as (absolutely no worse than) the Konica (Konica Minolta) not old (frozen when it was still fresh) KN-400 that I also shot. The interesting thing is the PR-100 rolls had been left in my backpack for 2 years unattended. I guess I took the pack out of the freezer and then left it in the backpack totally forgot about it. I actually thought they had practically gone beyond usefulness even for snap shots. They came out beautifully.

I just looked at the PR-100 box and the expiration date was in 1999. The KN-400 had been frozen since 2006 with the expiration date of 2008. Konica KN-400 is a great film. The old Kodak Pro-100 after all the years in the freezer with 2 years left in the backpack turns out to be as good or better. I believe the films were already expired when I bought them on eBay. I still have a few 5-rool packs. The only hassle to use these films is I have to use Kodak Stabilizer which is no longer available. These films (KN400 and Pro-100) is a solid proof to me that their colors are superior to the digital camera images I got from my 17 mega pixel Canon for dummies. I now use the Canon only when I need to sell something on eBay.

By the way I processed theses films by myself with my Jobo ATL-2300. I believe the processing is a significant factor that the films came out so great. I have finally figured out how to use the Jobo correctly. I used only 470 ml of Kodak C-41 developer for 2 rolls of 220.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there are so many people who equate using ambient temperature stored
    films ( color and black/white ) with a doomsday scenario ...

its nice to read others personal experiences with expired films.
    because sometimes its not doomsday yet, and its just any other day ...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I shot a 35mm roll of old Elite Chrome 100. 10+ yrs expired, unknown storage before I got it. Just a bit of color casrt, but less than what a yellowed Takumar 50/1.4 throws onto an image.

2 rolls of '87 and '91 Kodachrome 64 and 200 were way out of whack.

Color neg has to be really abused before it gives.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin