Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,470   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

C-41 processing capacity question

I use a Jobo ATL-2300 to process mostly 220 films. I use Kodak C-41B Developer Replenisher LORR to make C-41 developer by adding water and LORR developer starter. This developer so far works just like non LORR developer following Kodak's 3 minute 15 second development time.

The Jobo ATL has chemical tanks of 1 liter in size. The processor is designed to use up to 1 liter max of chemical. So no matter how large my Jobo drum is and how many reels I can stuff in the drum I have only 1 liter max of developer to work on. I can easily load 1, 2, 4, 8 or more of 220 rolls in my largest Jobo drum, 15xx series of drums by the way. But I still have only 1 liter of everything for processing on each run.

Obviously I can't process 8 rolls at a time, not even 4 rolls. I had hoped I could process 2 rolls at a time. According Kodak tech pub Z131 it takes 1 liter (possibly +/- a little bit) to developer a roll of 220 negative film. I have tried using 850 ml for one roll and the result seemed good. But I got an impression that people have reportedly saying it can be done with 500 ml only.

My questions is what is the true capacity of Kodak C-41 developer? I believe Z-131 is a little too conservative so it probably takes less than 1 liter to process a 220 roll. But I doubt it would be 500 ml. It is likely somewhere in between.

My next question is if 500 ml is not quite enough can I still do it by extending the processing time to longer than 3 minute and 15 second to compensate the capacity of the developer? It is easy for me to program my ATL-2300 to develop at a longer time.

I don't really mind to use more chemical required to process my films. But I have only 1 liter to work with for each run. I would really like to increase my processing productivity to 2 rolls of 220 negatives for each run. How about mixing my C-41 developer at a lower dilution so that the developer is more potent? I hope I can get some answers or suggestions here. Thanks a lot folks.
    Last edited by mtjade2007; 10-09-2009 at 03:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    You should be able to process 5 rolls according to Jobo 1500 drum specs - 900ml chemicals for 5 220 rolls. I do 3 220 rolls with 660ml in 2502 drum using ATL-1000 and CPP-2. Here is Jobo AG link.
    Regards
    Ed
    http://www.jobo.com/web/1500-Series-Tanks.336.0.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for providing the link. I am very familiar with these numbers provided by Jobo. However, be aware that these numbers are not provided by Kodak. These numbers are the capacity of Jobo drums. They are not the same as the capacity of Kodak C-41 chemicals. I believe Jobo also said to refer to chemical manufacturer's capacity specs to determine how much chemical to use for how many rolls of films. In Kodak tech pub Z131 it specifically says 1 liter for one roll of 220 negative (4 - 5 rolls per gallon) on table 3-3 page 3-5.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    LORR has greater capacity IIRC than the normal developer IIRC. I also know that you can conservatively push the developer to 3x its capacity by increasing time. Plus the steel tanks only hold one liter and you need two rolls to fill it. 500 mL should be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Believe table 3-3 is for sink-line processors not rotary tube processors with continuous agitation. Take a look at page 3-6 and tables 3-4 & 3-5 Rotary Tube Processors first note "Solution volume depends on the type of processor." I have been using Jobo's volumes for C-41 and E-6 with no problems. IMHO not a well written document.
    Regards
    Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a ATL-1500 and have never really figured out how much C41 chemicals I need to fully develop my rolls of film. The ATL-1500 processor only takes up to 750ml or so of chemicals, so I can not run the whole liter.

In the past I've used Tetenal C41, and tried to reuse the chemicals a few times.

The first tries I mixed up 500ml and ran two rolls in it, and tried to re-use them as they came out (also increasing development times). On the second and third re-use I got a heavy cyan cast, and a lot of grain.

Lately I've mixed up 1000ml, but only used 500ml in the processor at each run. I've also added a short stop bath between the developer and the blix. The used 500ml I pour back into "fresh" chemicals. This has given me somewhat better result, but not prefect.

Should I stick to Tetenal (it is a lot easier to get around here in Sweden than Kodak) or switch to Kodak? I'm not even sure I can get some Kodak chemicals here.

And more importanly; should I stop re-using my chemicals and just do single-use to get better result? But then I would not like to spend 500ml on two rolls of film. 250ml would be OK though.

Anyone got any experience running Tetenal C41 in your JOBO? Please let me know. I'm desperate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you get the Fujihunt C-41 5 litre kit in Sweden?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not that I know at least. I'll hear with my local dealer though.

I asked first call in the UK but they didn't ship C41 to sweden.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have seen some people (including PE) recommend using the Jobo amounts for C-41 developer. I have tried this and have had no problems. This makes the process much more practical, and economical. So, like Ed above, I now just use the volumes printed on the Jobo tanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jrydberg View Post
    Should I stick to Tetenal (it is a lot easier to get around here in Sweden than Kodak) or switch to Kodak? I'm not even sure I can get some Kodak chemicals here.
    Try to get Tetenal Ergoline C41. Should be available from minilab suppliers. The smallest developer amount is for 10l, but there are instructions for mixing smaller quanities included. You do need to get starter for dev and bleach though.

I mixed 1l replenisher, divided to half, 500ml as developer and other half as replenisher. So far so good.
    The whole set for 10l dev, dev starter, 5l bleach and 10l fix did cost ca 62EUR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin