Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,985   Online: 1097

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, I have never used much Kodachrome but I have 20 rolls that I will use before next December.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    Just modify some couplers, and then you should have a 1950's kodachrome.
    How easy is that.... perhaps with a masters in chemistry and a fully equipped organic synthesis lab to start with, of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    (30th Nov for those of us in the UK who mail films to Kodak in Switzerland)
    So wait, you send it to Kodak in Switz and then they forward it to Dwayne's or does kodak actually process them in Switz? i have a roll that i REALLY want to get developed but i haven't yet gotten round to mailing it to dwayne's because the shipping from Spain is almost more expensive than the developing itself.

Also, would any charitable soul consider selling me a couple of rolls for a less abusive price than they seem to be commanding on ebay send me a PM? Unfortunately I'm a victim of the digital generation and never got to experience the full might and glory of Kodachrome. I'd like to give it a shot before it dissappears forever...

with regards to the equipment... It'll definately be dismantled and if Kodak doesn't want to bother with shipping and finding space for it in a museum it'll end up in the scrapyard shortly after the 31st of dec...

Shooter
    35mm

Yes, to Lausanne

Hello! Yes, you have to ship to Lausanne. They will forward it to Dwaynes.
    The address is:
    Kodak Photo Service SA
    Case Postale
    1001 Lausanne
    Switzerland

Well... What is the price of a not expired Kodachrome on ebay?
    I don't think you'll pay a fortune for a couple of rolls...
    I think tough, the best kodachromes I have ever used are the K64 professional, expired by one- even two years.
    I find the not expired Kodachromes too much contrasty and the ones expired by more than two years with too little colour.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    How easy is that.... perhaps with a masters in chemistry and a fully equipped organic synthesis lab to start with, of course.
    Just like Mannes and Godowsky didn't invent it all by themselves. They had a lab and a team of chemists and all was backed by EK or some investor.

If KR was so easy to make, there should be a clone or impossible project around.

I forgot to say if I'm a KR shooter. SO far, ordered a few rolls to an UK dealer, but they ran out of stock and (I suppose) it's in backorder status.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    If KR was so easy to make, there should be a clone or impossible project around.

Kodachrome is not a miracle only Kodak could handle.

In the past aside from Kodak 7 other manufacturers made films like Kodachrome.

To clone or not to clone is not a matter of technology but of profitibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought 20 rolls of 24 exposure Kodachrome from Dan Bayer here on APUG, when he decided to consolidate his film inventory to 36 exposure rolls.

I also have a few 36 exposure rolls left from local stores.

I plan to use it all.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    So wait, you send it to Kodak in Switz and then they forward it to Dwayne's or does kodak actually process them in Switz? i have a roll that i REALLY want to get developed but i haven't yet gotten round to mailing it to dwayne's because the shipping from Spain is almost more expensive than the developing itself.

Also, would any charitable soul consider selling me a couple of rolls for a less abusive price than they seem to be commanding on ebay send me a PM? Unfortunately I'm a victim of the digital generation and never got to experience the full might and glory of Kodachrome. I'd like to give it a shot before it dissappears forever...

with regards to the equipment... It'll definately be dismantled and if Kodak doesn't want to bother with shipping and finding space for it in a museum it'll end up in the scrapyard shortly after the 31st of dec...
    If the roll is European process paid, send it to the nearest address on the mailer. In the UK thats Lausanne.

UK retail of Kodachrome is still around £10ish, and Boots is still doing the 3 for 2 promo.

As for the processing line. Thats nothing high tech or particularly unique about it, apart from the light re-exposure section. If they can't adapt it to other chemistry, or they don't need a volume line like it, that will be salvaged and recycled. The K14 minilabs weren't cutting edge tech by any means. Same sort of tech as your bread and butter shop C41 Noritsu or similar. They were developed so that K14 could be processed 1hr in the highstreet like C41 or E6.
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    The funny thing about Kodachrome prices on eBay is that I have lately gotten a few rolls of the latest K25 (from 2002-2003) for less than the going price of a fresh roll of K64. Honestly, if you can find a deal like this on Kodachrome 25 that has been kept frozen, I think this would be the way to go. Kodachrome 25 holds up REALLY well when frozen - consider frozen K25 with an expiration date of 2002-2003 to basically be fresh film. I have even gotten good results from frozen K25 from 1989! Plus, most people actually think K25 is a better film. Colors are generally more saturated than K64 (but not crazy or 'over the top' like Velvia). And colors are better in subdued lighting than K64. Of course, a tripod will be needed in most conditions other than bright daylight. But it really is one of the best films of all times. So give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Kodachrome is not a miracle only Kodak could handle.

In the past aside from Kodak 7 other manufacturers made films like Kodachrome.
    But Kodak's was the first, the largest and was available the longest.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin