Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,418   Online: 714

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Survey: How many use Kodachrome?

Hello!
    I am wondering two things.
    - How many of you used Kodachrome as the main 35mm film in the past three years? I am one of them, tough I wasn't a big user. I think 20 rolls per year.
    - Does anyone know if Kodak is going to pretend to dismantle Dwaynes machines, or they can keep them?
    Best regards,
    Maurizio Grosso

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I didn't use enough apparently!

I'm sure Dwaynes can keep their equipment, but with the expense, difficulty, and space required to process Kodachrome film, I'm sure they will be hauling them to the scrap heap not long after they officially cease their processing operation. Doesn't make sense to waste the space when the product they are designed to process is no longer being manufactured.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On what base should Kodak be allowed to dismatle Dwaynes' machinery?
    And what benefit would Kodak have by this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used Kodachrome pretty much exclusivly for the last two years shooting atleast 50 rolls per year. It is really hard for me to see it go. I know I haven't used it for that long but I fell in love with it very much.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hopefully the machinery will be in a museum somewhere - maybe one run by Kodak, f'rinstance?

I shot a dozen rolls recently and have a few more left. I'd have shot more but Kodak did zippo promotion of the film and I had no idea for the longest time it was still available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless they are Kodak owned machines that Dwayne's leased, Kodak can't force Dwayne's to dismantle them. However, that's not to say that Dwayne's won't dismantle them of their own free will.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've about 100 Kodachromes to use before the end of next year, and various holidays and visits to historic places arranged to, hopefully, make good use of them.

I'm sure Kodak/Dwaynes will stick to their date of finishing at 31/12/10
    (30th Nov for those of us in the UK who mail films to Kodak in Switzerland), and I'm not relying on any processing being available after then. Hope the equipment is put in a Museum, or at least saved....it may look like scrap now, but too many historic items have been lost over the years before their interest was appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    For the last couple of years, Kodachrome has been virtually the only film I have shot. It will be hard to let it go, since there is really nothing to replace it (and no, Ektar is not a Kodachrome replacement - it's not even a slide film!). As for Dayne's K14 machine, they may or may not disassemble it. But whether or not they want to keep processing Kodachrome, they can't if Kodak no longer supplies the chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More important question than the processing machine is the availability of processing chemicals. One can process Kodachrome in normal spiral tanks if a special re-exposure unit is made. That doesn't need to be big or expensive. All we need is a small tabletop machine with stepper motor to drive film thru the unit and LED light and some drive logic. The amount of exposure must be determined first but then it remain unchanged. Heck, it can be done even with normal color enlarger without any special units. The process is a bit tedious but completely doable even at home, not to mention small labs ran by enthusiasts. Bigger problem is where to get the chemicals needed. Is there public formulas? Can you get the correct couplers anywhere?

Shooter
    35mm
    Even more important than the availability of the processing equipment and the chemicals is the availability of the film itself.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin